My mom and I are going to have weight loss surgery together

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/20 7:00 pm

My mom and I are going to have weight loss surgery together, I have more weight to lose them her what are some things we can do to be successful with our surgery.

Partlypollyanna
on 6/24/20 12:13 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

You've gotten some good feedback previously and it's all still valid, even if you're doing this with someone.

There have been a couple of people since I've been on here that coordinated their surgery with someone else's -- my take is that it makes getting your one mind set, doing the tough work to make the changes even more important so you can be successful, regardless of what the other person is doing.

If your other person does that as well, you can be great support for each other - but you have to be prepared if they aren't compliant but you still want to be and make sure you will put your own success first!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

sweetpotato1959
on 7/3/20 1:08 am

April

My Mom had WLS 6 months before i was able to get approval.. I lost her in 2015.I still miss her.... She said 18 pears post op, it was the best thing she did for HERSELf and extended her life and her quality of life by several years.

Your surgeon is giving you a tool... it is up to you to take care of it , protect it and it will serve you well... ( is the expectation)

Decide you WILLfollow your surgeons instructions as close as possible.....Write all instructions , supplement instructions, diet instructions , lifestyle changes...make a couple copies keep one put back so you will have a clean copy.. date any changes made to this list and keep it updated with each visit for follow up... Be sure to get protein, carb, fat and liquid instructions in writing. for short term and what maintainence should consist of....... these will apply the rest of your life ..

. learn to measure all food quickly, precisely.. measure everything until you can estimate liquids within 10 cc and food within 1/4 oz. limit carbs, follow the pre op diet carefully. it is critical for your safety.

Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. begin by making changes -now- a little at a time that you can maintain...set your mind on YOUR goal. Support and encourage each other..

Denise
Most Active