Off topic: Do you wear a mask when you go out in public?

TJFox
on 6/24/20 8:47 am

This has been bothering me quite a bit. I haven't been out very often due to the fact that I am a caregiver and don't want to expose my loved one to the virus. If he gets the virus, he will not survive it. This we both know for sure. But in the few times I have been to the grocery store (4 times since early March!) I do wear a mask and santisize before entering the store and when I get home. I live in a small town and I see friends of mine not wearing a mask. I see that they post that they don't want to be "controlled" and not wearing a mask is their freedom. Do you wear a mask when you go out in public? I would like to know why or why not. No judgement from me at all. I just don't feel like I have a choice at this time.

Partlypollyanna
on 6/24/20 9:06 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I wear a mask because I don't want to run the risk of making anyone else sick;

because I'm a responsible adult and I understand the role I play in protecting my community;

because I have a strong self image and I don't see wearing a mask as "weak", "showing fear" or "giving up my right" any more then I find having to wear pants any of those things.

There are things you do to be able to participate in society and right now, masks are one of them--just like pants on any given day.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 6/24/20 9:32 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Pants? They are less necessary than masks. And if you have a good mask on, pants are even less necessary.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Partlypollyanna
on 6/24/20 11:23 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Frequently, I think porky pig had the right idea!

Jen

Kmegamom
on 6/29/20 10:50 am

Porky pig?

Partlypollyanna
on 6/29/20 5:50 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Not wearing pants

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 6/24/20 9:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I wear a mask whenever I am out. I do it because I'd like to think that I'm not an asshole, and I care about other people.

No one is "controlling" me. I don't have a constitutional right to refuse wearing a mask, just as there is no constitutional right to drive 110 miles an hour.

Our freedoms are infringed every day in innumerable ways. From cell phones and apps that track us to the so-called "Patriot Act," there are things that we really should be worried about, but mostly are not. Wearing a mask to protect ourselves and our community from a deadly disease is not something that should even need discussing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Dee_Caprini
on 6/24/20 10:38 am

I wear a mask, yes... absolutely all the time if I am out and cannot guarantee that I will stay 6 feet away from someone. Do I wear my mask in the parking lot, as I am walking into a store, yes. Any time I am outside of my own car/home I am wearing one. I have several loved ones in my life that I don't want to get sick so they too, wear a mask. I also have individuals in my life that I come across that I have never met and I don't want them to get sick either, should I be the one carrying anything... I want to be responsible and contain it within me. This is also why I stay home for the most part and only go out when absolutely necessary. I remove my clothing in the garage and head straight to the shower, as does my husband, who is an essential worker. We sanitize everything before it comes into the house. I guess I have it in me to take care of others as well and if that means wearing a mask while I am out, so be it. Do I hate it, yes, is it uncomfortable, yes, is it pushing over 100* where i am at, yes... but I still wear one.

I cannot control what other people do and do I get jealous that they are having the greatest time at big gatherings so I choose to stay away for right now. If they have a problem with me wearing a mask... their issue, not mine.

hollykim
on 6/24/20 11:03 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 24, 2020 at 3:47 PM Pacific Time, TJFox wrote:

This has been bothering me quite a bit. I haven't been out very often due to the fact that I am a caregiver and don't want to expose my loved one to the virus. If he gets the virus, he will not survive it. This we both know for sure. But in the few times I have been to the grocery store (4 times since early March!) I do wear a mask and santisize before entering the store and when I get home. I live in a small town and I see friends of mine not wearing a mask. I see that they post that they don't want to be "controlled" and not wearing a mask is their freedom. Do you wear a mask when you go out in public? I would like to know why or why not. No judgement from me at all. I just don't feel like I have a choice at this time.

I agree with all your other posters. It the adult thing to do. Period.

catwoman7
on 6/24/20 12:10 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I don't always wear one when I'm hiking (but I'm outside and I keep my distance from people), and never when I'm riding my bike, but otherwise, yes. Indoors (except my own house) - always. Stores - always.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1402 views