New here. Having Roux En Y in 5 days

TheWombat
on 7/17/20 9:38 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Nona_2_1, you're in for an exciting time! It's wonderful to have your body actually co-operate when you try to lose weight, instead of fighting against you.

Another option to protein drinks is to buy protein powder, but use half the recommended serving size. It's often easier to tolerate that way, in which case you'll probably drink more than you would otherwise, and maybe get the same amount of protein. My dietitian gave me that tip, and I've found it very helpful. I suppose you could also dilute a protein shake with cow milk or nut milk to get a similar effect.

Also, for anyone who is about to have surgery or has just had it: Follow your healthcare team's advice, of course, but my dietitian told me not to worry too much about protein at first. You're not going to get malnourished in a month, so just focus on fluids for the first month, and figuring out what foods agree with your new stomach.. Protein shakes can be hard on the stomach, so you may not be able to tolerate them for a few weeks.

There are lots of things you can do to get a little extra protein into your dietwithout ruining the taste of things you like. Try a little protein powder in hot drinks (it makes the drink a little creamier). One of my faves is "hot chocolate": a spoonful of protein powder, a spoonful of cocoa powder, plus sweetener to taste. This recipe is probably for later on; you may not like the taste right after surgery.

Nona_2_1
on 7/17/20 11:01 am
RNY on 07/20/20

Great advice! My dietician told me to try to stick to the broths for a few weeks after surgery. I'm okay with that. I've found a really delicious brand, Millies sipping broth. The flavors are great. Thank you for the advice. I'm looking forward to this journey. ?

Dee_Caprini
on 7/20/20 11:33 am

We'll be thinking of you today!!! Good luck!

Dee_Caprini
on 7/22/20 3:23 pm

How are you doing? Hoping your recovery is going well and you are home resting!

Nona_2_1
on 7/22/20 4:11 pm
RNY on 07/20/20

Hi there. I'm honestly having a difficult time. My surgery took a couple hours longer than the surgeon anticipated. I had a severe hiatal hernia in which my stomach was all the way in my chest. And he also had to battle with scar tissue from a prior appendectomy. I'm experiencing a lot of pain, but I anticipated that. The problem I'm having right now is trying to get in enough fluids. I'm pushing through though. I'm determined to succeed. Thank you so much for checking on me, I greatly appreciate it.

Tidgel
on 7/27/20 8:24 am
RNY on 04/15/19

I am sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. I hope things are better for you now since a few days have passed. Keep pushing through!

Nona_2_1
on 7/28/20 12:04 pm
RNY on 07/20/20

It's gotten a lot better. My post op appointment is this Friday. I'm looking forward to talking about the next steps in my journey. ?

Dee_Caprini
on 7/27/20 10:30 am

So sorry to hear that it's been a bit difficult. One thing I have learned about this journey is to try and look for the good in everything... Your surgeon is skilled and was able to complete your surgery, even after facing a few bumps along the way. You no longer have a hiatal hernia, hopefully he cleared some of the scar tissue and you are ON THE LOSERS BENCH!!!! Something that really helped me to track everything is literally, to create a log and I would write down times and quantities of everything consumed and at what time. I was able to get little 1oz containers and track everything going in. YOU CAN DO THIS... you said it yourself, you are DETERMINED to succeed, one step at a time. Broths really helped and I think they were mentioned above, Millie's Sipping Broth, Unjury Protein are great but also, LonoLife Bone broth powders, and Swanson Bone Broths are really good too (The latter two were't available when I had surgery, but are wonderful when I am not in the mood to eat, but still need to get protein in).

Sending hugs and keep ahead of your pain if you can rather than waiting for your pain to arrive (at least for the first week or so). This will let your body heal without the mental feeling of pain that typically makes you not want to do anything.

But, most importantly, follow your surgeons guidelines and ask questions if you are unsure. Anything provided here, bring to them to make sure it works for the program you are currently on.

Nona_2_1
on 7/28/20 12:08 pm, edited 7/31/20 3:06 am
RNY on 07/20/20

I absolutely agree with everything you said. Things are going a whole lot better. The discomfort has subsided a lot and I'm enjoying my soothing broths My surgeon and his team have been wonderful pre and post op. I can honestly say I've had a good experience so far. I'm blessed to be on the mend and in this journey to a healthier me. Thank you for such wonderful encouragement. ?

SuMari
on 7/30/20 10:44 am

You bring up some very good points. I will have to remember to stay positive, even when I think things are going south. I've only got a few more months until I'm done with my supervised program and I want to get a surgery date already, but know everything I am doing now will set me up for success later on down the line

Most Active