Who or what has been your inspiration for maintaining weight loss?

TJFox
on 7/28/20 10:55 am, edited 7/28/20 11:23 am

Years ago, I was a waitress at a popular restaurant near Universal Studios. I had a regular customer named Jerry and he was very morbidly obese. (I wasn't too overweight at the time myself.) When I first started waiting on him, he would order several portions-appetizers, at least 2 meals, and dessert and usually he ordered the most unhealthy things on the menu. He walked with a cane, had breathing issues and other health concerns that he shared with me. One day, he didn't order like he usually did. He ordered one meal and asked for modifications and made healthier choices and he continued to do that every time he would come in which was often on a daily basis. I couldn't get over the changes in his habits and slowly but surely, I noticed he was losing weight. He shared with me that now that he could walk better, he was taking small walks daily. Anyway, he continued to lose weight. No more cane. He was happier and healthier and he had new goals and ambitions as a person and as an artist. After several months, he finally shared with me that he had weight loss surgery. I had never even heard of it before. Flash forward, life occurrences and my lack of self-care caused me to gain a lot of weight. I was so uncomfortable and felt hopeless really. Reflecting on my life, I remembered Jerry who had been far more overweight than I was. But he decided enough was enough and changed his life and his health by making better decisions, reaching out for help with a surgeon, and he stuck to the plan! Years later, he was my inspiration for taking charge of my health, someone I met through serving food who had become a friend. And my inspiration. I will never forget Jerry!

Healthybecca
on 7/28/20 10:26 pm

I love this! I'm still awaiting surgery but I'm very interested in hearing replies.

TJFox
on 7/29/20 9:21 am

Me too Becca! Wishing you well in your upcoming surgery.

SuMari
on 7/29/20 10:53 am

Honestly, myself for now... I want to get healthier so I am here to experience everything I want to experience. I don't want to have done something that resulted in my losing my life unless I was doing something to try and better it. With all of my research so far, I am willing to die on the surgery table if it means that I am trying to better myself.

It's finally time that I am my loudest cheerleader, rather than my biggest doubter.

I still have a couple of months to go for my supervised program, so I am on my way!

TJFox
on 8/10/20 9:26 am

Yes, it is time to be your loudest cheerleader! Wishing you a healthy journey!

SuMari
on 8/10/20 11:27 am

Thank you!

CSJakobsen
on 7/30/20 8:46 am

I am new to this board and am just starting on m Weight Loss Surgery journey. Honestly it was my husband who is my inspiration. He's had to take care of me more more as my condition worsened. I became bed bound due to Psoriatic Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and gained 100 pounds over the span of 7 months or so. I feel more like his patient than his wife. So I want to get healthier for both him and myself. Mainly so I can have more years with my husband and kids.w

Just starting on my weight loss journey.

TJFox
on 8/10/20 9:29 am

I am sorry to learn that you became bed bound. That must have been very hard on both you and your husband. He sounds like a good man and it is easy to see why he would be your inspiration.

Wishing you better health soon and the best on your weight loss journey.

Asberiha
on 7/31/20 2:22 am

Hello all, I am new here. I am also waiting to do weight loss surgery. I want to know is any side effects after the surgery. Actually my issue is after my delivery I get more weight within one year. I did many workouts but I cannot control my weight. My question is after delivery how much the time is taken to this weight loss surgery is it good or not?...... Plz can you suggest me

TJFox
on 8/10/20 9:35 am

Hi Asberiha,

It's hard to answer your questions because each person's journey is unique to them and I am not sure what procedure you are having. These are good questions to ask your surgeon. Also, if you are not attending a weight loss surgery support group, it would be good to because you will meet both pre-ops and post-ops and can learn from them.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1280 views