Starting to have second thoughts!

Corey150
on 8/31/20 9:33 am

Hi Leon,

I understand what you are expressing. I felt that way for many years. Like me, you have probably tried many ways of getting the weight off and keeping it off only to put it back on and then some. I kept trying to do the same things expecting different results. Finally, at 69 years old, I made the decision to have the surgery. I had the RNY gastric bypass in November, 2018, and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner! I have lost almost 100# and am still losing, not as fast, but I feel this was the best thing for me. I hope this helps a bit. Best regards!

Mary H.
on 8/31/20 10:29 am, edited 8/31/20 3:32 am - Gray Court, SC

I think everyone that is contemplating any surgery has second thoughts, it's normal. To make matters worse, I had people very negative about it and voiced their opinions to me constantly adding to my fears. I finally decided if I didn't do something soon, it might be too late if or when I did decide. I was already in my 50's, so I knew I didn't need to keep putting it off. I was getting to the point of not being able to climb stairs, get in and out of my vehicle and would get winded just walking to the mail box. What made my decision to go ahead with it was what I considered a sign from God to do it. In a matter of 20 min. I ran into two people where I worked that I didn't even recognize. One in the cafeteria and one in the elevator. Come to find out both had went through the surgery and had dropped over 100 pounds each in just a few short and I do mean short months. Both said it was the best thing they had ever done for themselves. That night I laid in bed and said I was calling first thing in the morning and making my consult appointment. That was July 13, my sons birthday so I will always remember that date. My surgery was Halloween morning 14 years ago. It was the best decision I ever made and would do it a million times over if I had to. I have maintained my weight to within 20 pounds of my lowest weight after surgery which my doctor felt was a little low. I had never had a doctor tell me I needed to gain a few pounds, lol. I had no problems what so ever and now with 70 years old staring me in the face I feel better than I did in my 40's.Just take a deep breath, pick up the phone and call, get the ball rolling I don't think you will regret it. Life style change isn't easy but neither is not living life to the fullest! Best of luck!

IF WE WEREN'T ALL CRAZY WE WOULD GO INSANE!             
                Jimmy Buffett
Sparklincase
on 8/31/20 11:24 am, edited 8/31/20 4:25 am

Hi there, being anxious is normal. You are altering your body, of course with every surgery on the planet there are risk. For me 4 years out from RNY it was the best decision that I have ever made although it was the hardest, it was the best. You have to want it, own it and succeed or it will not work. They alter your stomach not your brain. You have to be 100% ready for this life-changing beautiful experience that you will have with a new life. This success rate unfortunately isn?t that great with bariatric surgery but, I am here to tell you I?m one of the success stories. I chose this surgery to lose weight and I have done so and have maintain every single pound that I lost. It will work if you change your mindset.

good luck at whatever decision you make.

Lost 110 maintained 110

selkiem
on 9/1/20 12:56 pm

So many good replies here!

Clearly, all of us were in the same boat - so many concerns and worries, questions whether it was the right way to go, worries about the changes being contemplated.

Here in Canada where OHIP covers it, there is an excellent program in place - which in itself takes close to a year to complete - so you have that period of time to really figure out whether this was the route you wanted to take. I completed my initial year then when my date came up for surgery, postponed it! They were kind enough to keep me on the list but give me time to reconsider. Six months later (with more efforts to lose weight and no success), with my Type 2 diabetes worsening all the time, I called them up and got back on the list. I had to redo parts of the program but eventually my surgery came up and right up to the moment I walked into to lie on the table, I had SERIOUS doubts as to whether I was doing the right thing.

It was ABSOLUTELY the BEST thing I've ever done for myself!

My surgery was June 11, 2019 - so a year plus and I've lost close to 100 lbs. That aside, the FREEDOM of having a body back that is a joy rather than something that was holding me back from living! A year ago I could barely walk half a block without serious discomfort (exacerbated by chronic pain in my leg which as rebuilt from a cycling accident 10 years ago) - it was torture! NOW, it's nothing to hike with my dog for up to a.15 hours through trails and up hills. A year ago, I was 2 medications three times a day for my type 2 diabetes - now I'm on 2 (out of the 6) pills of ONE medication and that will be reassessed at my next doctor's appointments. My last bloodwork puts me OUT of the diabetic range ( but still in the "risk" range).

And here's the thing - like you I worried about the massive changes to my body - I questioned WHY or HOW it would be beneficial to, in essence, the way I was thinking "mutilate" my body - leaving me castigating myself for "failing" to lose weight "normally". BS - absolute BS - I've come to the conclusion there is far more going on with many of us physiologically, mentally, emotionally and physically than over-eating or eating the wrong things. Whatever happened (I had the RNY incidentally)- it seemed to fix whatever was not working - I am NOT at goal and am realistically giving myself a second year to reach that as weight loss drastically lessens the farther along you get and it is easy to fall into bad habits, BUT, if this is as much as I ever lost, I would STILL say doing the surgery was an unqualified success. I feel like I have my life back!

Incidentally, the other worries I had - the changes, the things I can no longer eat, or drink or whatever - don't miss at ALL. I found, for instance, that my taste for a lot of things has changed (for the better)- and it has not been difficult at all to NOT eat what I shouldn't and to eat what I should. I stil struggle a bit getting enough protein in, but I've always been a big water drinker, and the portion control seems natural - and not a struggle.

Only you can decide whether this is the route to take, but as someone who had MASSIVE doubts, i can assure you I would do it ALL over again.

Good luck in whatever path you choose!

Most Active