Gastric plication- revision to sleeve or DS

AllThatGlittersIsntGold
on 8/28/20 7:52 pm - Woodside, NY

Hi all!

I had gastric plication back in 2014. I reached goal weight in 2015 and gained all the weight back + an additional 90 lbs since. (Yikes)

I had gastric plication originally in Mexico because my BMI was low. I am located in NJ and with two young children would prefer to stay in the tristate area.

i am meeting with Dr. Dakin and Dr. Roslin in the next two weeks. Any reviews of the above and recommendations ?

i would like to be converted to a sleeve but I am open to considering DS considering my current BMI is 49

White Dove
on 8/29/20 7:07 am - Warren, OH

Dr Roslin is probably the best in the world. Any surgery can be out eaten. The only way for the surgery to "work" is to eat less calories than your body burns each day. A sleeve would just give you a small stomach for a while, but it will stretch out if you eat more than it is designed to hold.

I used to use a two-liter soda bottle as an illustration when I talked to weight loss surgery groups. The amount of food it takes to fill up that 2-liter bottle is what most people put into their stomach to feel full and satisfied.

After weight loss surgery, they only need to eat the amount if would take to fill the cap of that 2-liter bottle. You gastic plicatin would have given you a stomach that could have held the amount of three of those bottle caps.

When you ate more than that amount, the stomach stretched out to hold more food. After six years, it might be back to the size of the 2-liter bottle. Making it smaller will only work long term if you make your portions smaller. That is not easy to do and the reason people regain is because they eat too many calories.

Adding malabsorption will mean that all of what you eat is not totally absorbed. You can eat more and not regain as much. The surgeons should explain all of that to you and help you make a choice that will help you long term.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AllThatGlittersIsntGold
on 8/29/20 7:15 am - Woodside, NY

Definitely agree that any surgery can be out eaten which is why I plan on working with a psychologist throughout The Whole process and until I'm done losing weight and maintaining. I had a hard time Coping once I reached goal weight after the first surgery... this time will be different because I know better. It's just a matter of deciding what tool is best.

Janet P.
on 8/31/20 2:58 am
On August 29, 2020 at 2:15 PM Pacific Time, AllThatGlittersIsntGold wrote:

Definitely agree that any surgery can be out eaten which is why I plan on working with a psychologist throughout The Whole process and until I'm done losing weight and maintaining. I had a hard time Coping once I reached goal weight after the first surgery... this time will be different because I know better. It's just a matter of deciding what tool is best.

I'm not familiar with your current surgery (don't know if gastric plication is the same as a RNY). The two surgeries you're looking at are drastically different. The DS requires a lifelong commitment to following an appropriate diet for the rest of your life. The DS also requires dedicated vitamins for the rest of your life. Don't know Dakin but Roslin is one of the original DS surgeons so you're definitely in good hands.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

ladygodiva1228
on 8/31/20 8:00 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On August 29, 2020 at 2:52 AM Pacific Time, AllThatGlittersIsntGold wrote:

Hi all!

I had gastric plication back in 2014. I reached goal weight in 2015 and gained all the weight back + an additional 90 lbs since. (Yikes)

I had gastric plication originally in Mexico because my BMI was low. I am located in NJ and with two young children would prefer to stay in the tristate area.

i am meeting with Dr. Dakin and Dr. Roslin in the next two weeks. Any reviews of the above and recommendations ?

i would like to be converted to a sleeve but I am open to considering DS considering my current BMI is 49

Personally I wouldn't even bother looking at the sleeve as the gastric plication seems to similar to it. If you're not interested in the bypass then I would go right for the DS. Make sure which ever surgeon you choose they have experience performing a DS.

Best of luck.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Dee_Caprini
on 8/31/20 3:38 pm

Best of luck for which every surgery you are advised to revise to. Prayers for a speedy recovery

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1436 views