Eating healthy foods at restaurants

Jazzygurl81
on 9/13/20 6:12 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi everyone, I'm working on a project and would love some feedback from everyone - especially for those of you that are 1+ year out of surgery:

1. How often do you eat out or order food delivery from a restaurant?

2. When ordering food at a restaurant or ordering restaurant food online, how difficult do you find it to know which foods they are offering that are "bariatric friendly"?

3. When you see the calorie content posted on a restaurant menu, does that influence your decision-making when ordering food? Do you find that to be a helpful resource that you'd like to see posted in all restaurants?

4. How many of you post-ops are still strict about counting calories, carbs, etc like you were in the beginning? Do you use (or at least would be interested in) a resource outside of the restaurant menu - such as a website, app, ebook, pamphlete - that helps make it easier to select healthy foods from restaurants?

5. Are you pre or post-op? How long ago did you have WLS?

Thanks for anyone who submits a response.

catwoman7
on 9/13/20 6:33 am, edited 9/12/20 11:40 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

How often do you eat out or order food delivery from a restaurant?

About twice a month, maybe. I try not to do it often because that was a big part of my getting to where I was at in the first place (over 300 lbs). We used to eat out A LOT....as in three or four times a week. No more...

When ordering food at a restaurant or ordering restaurant food online, how difficult do you find it to know which foods they are offering that are bariatric friendly??

I've been at this for so long that I can usually tell by looking at the description. I don't order things that sound like they have a lot of fat or are really bread-y. I stick with things that are all/mostly lean protein (non-starchy veggies are fine, too).

When you see the calorie content posted on a restaurant menu, does that influence your decision-making when ordering food? Do you find that to be a helpful resource that you?d like to see posted in all restaurants?

Yes yes and yes!

How many of you post-ops are still strict about counting calories, carbs, etc like you were in the beginning? Do you use (or at least would be interested in) a resource outside of the restaurant menu - such as a website, app, ebook, pamphlete - that helps make it easier to select healthy foods from restaurants?

I'm still strict about counting calories, but not carbs (but on the other hand, I don't often eat high-carby things). I count calories, protein grams, and fluids. I don't use outside resources - as mentioned, I can usually tell by reading the description of the food if it'll "work" for me or not.

Are you pre or post-op? How long ago did you have WLS?

Over five years post-op

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Jazzygurl81
on 9/13/20 7:42 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Thank you for your feedback!

Liz

White Dove
on 9/13/20 12:46 pm - Warren, OH

1. How often do you eat out or order food delivery from a restaurant? - Currently almost never, for many years about five times a week.

2. When ordering food at a restaurant or ordering restaurant food online, how difficult do you find it to know which foods they are offering that are "bariatric friendly"? - I always order protein and some low carb vegetables.

3. When you see the calorie content posted on a restaurant menu, does that influence your decision-making when ordering food? Do you find that to be a helpful resource that you'd like to see posted in all restaurants? It absolutely influences me. If the calorie count is not my range I will not order it. Would love to see it posted everywhere.

4. How many of you post-ops are still strict about counting calories, carbs, etc like you were in the beginning? Do you use (or at least would be interested in) a resource outside of the restaurant menu - such as a website, app, ebook, pamphlete - that helps make it easier to select healthy foods from restaurants? I follow either Weigh****chers or MyFitnessPal. Both are on my phone.

5. Are you pre or post-op? How long ago did you have WLS? Post Op. Thirteen years in October..

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tidgel
on 9/14/20 8:57 am
RNY on 04/15/19

What kind of project are you working on? Is this for a book or blog?

Tekish
on 9/15/20 1:14 pm
  1. Almost every day currently since May. Before that, perhaps a couple times a week.
  2. I don't worry about 'bariatric friendly.' I worry about what I have a taste for and what my pouch will agree to accept. I never am able to complete the quantities served, but I've learned not to worry about it.
  3. I don't worry about calories.
  4. I don't worry about calories, carbs, ounces, or grams. I never did. Early on, I focused on protein which was easy as that is what I liked. Early on my pouch made it clear who was in charge.
  5. Post-op, RNY, 2003.

Tek

Dee_Caprini
on 9/17/20 3:30 pm
  1. Maybe 2-3 times a month? Usually when I don't want to make dinner or it's to late to start something.
  2. most places have SOMETHING I can eat, whether it's a salad or the inside of a chicken burrito or a Grilled Chicken sandwich hold the bun (or make it protein style)... you make it work with the options you have.
  3. Yes, I look at the calorie count and also take in to consideration HOW MUCH of that I will potentially be consuming. If a menu doesn't have it, I don't mind.
  4. I still try and log everything I eat to the best of my ability. I may go a couple of days here or there without logging, but I use an app on my phone to keep my numbers so I can go back.
  5. Post op, 12 years ago
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1436 views