Birth Control question

SuMari
on 9/18/20 3:36 pm

I just had my last appointment with my PCP/Nutritionist and everything is being submitted as we speak! Hopefully will have a surgery date within one to two months but wondering about birth control ? Doctor told me to stop the pill because of blood clot risks, which I totally get. What methods do you use instead to help regulate? Was thinking IUD but the one I want is hormonal, so that's a no... This is going to stink! I have technically been on the pill for most of my life and the only time I was not on it was when I was trying to and got pregnant but even while breastfeeding, was on a very low dose. so I am thinking I am going to be one hormonal wreck for the next several months?

White Dove
on 9/19/20 6:35 am - Warren, OH

Accidental pregnancies after weight loss surgery are only too common. Talk to your doctor about what to do. Are you finished having babies and is vasectomy an option for your partner?

Many people use two forms of birth control to be sure they don't get pregnant for the first year or two after surgery. You need to get with your doctor and make sure this is addressed. Pregnancy too soon after weight loss surgery is not ideal for the mother or the baby.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SuMari
on 9/21/20 10:34 am

I think my husband and I are done with kids... but I think I will have a hard time actually going through sterilization. Makes it way to final but I know that is the point. I will only be off of it leading up until the surgery and shortly after. And then once I am cleared to go back, I just need to see/clarify for HOW LONG hoping it's just for the couple of weeks leading up to surgery and maybe a week after...

White Dove
on 9/21/20 11:24 am - Warren, OH

It is a huge decision and you both have to be comfortable with it. My husband was older than I was and sure he did not want to have more children if he ever married again. I was not sure, so he did the vasectomy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Dee_Caprini
on 9/21/20 3:33 pm

I was off my BC for 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after, so one month total. After that, my surgeon & primary care doctor said that I could resume. But, agreed with WD, verify exactly what your surgeon's plan calls for. Best of luck for a date!

SuMari
on 9/23/20 10:17 am

Thank you! Hopefully it's only for a short period of time!

KalesD
on 10/24/20 6:14 pm
RNY on 09/30/20

I had surgery at the end of Sept this year and I have the Mirena IUD and it wasn't a problem for anyone I had spoken to before surgery..

Most Active