How often do you weigh yourself?

TJFox
on 9/25/20 6:13 am

I find myself doing the same as far as snacking and munching.

catwoman7
on 9/24/20 1:30 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I weigh myself almost every day, but I could probably go to once a week and be fine. I personally don't want to weigh myself any less frequently than that, though - I went abroad for a month in October and had no access to a scale. I came back four lbs heavier (well, probably more like six, but the first two came off fast, so they were probably water. The last four were a BEAR to get off, though, so they were probably a true gain). Also, in my pre-surgery weight loss attempts, it was when I quit paying attention that I'd start gradually gaining weight again. When i finally did step on a scale, I was shocked at how much I weighed. So....I weigh.

TJFox
on 9/25/20 6:21 am

I understand the shock of weight gain after not weighing in for quite some time. It can be very depressing. When I weighed in every day, for me, it got to be an obsession and then after I got to goal, I tapered off. I don't know why, I just did.

White Dove
on 9/24/20 3:22 pm - Warren, OH

I have weighed myself almost every day since surgery. Sometimes it might be four times a day. I am afraid of weight gain. It is so easy to gain where I am thirteen years after RNY. Any time that I do not weigh for a period, I am always heavier when I do weigh.

I weigh on a smart scale. It tracks my BMI, water, fat content, muscle content, and bone density. I am getting a dexa scan in the next month, so will be interested to see how close my scale is to the dexa.

To me, going without weighing would be the same as taking a cross country trip with no map, no GPS, and no speedometer. I would not know for sure how I was maintaining unless I weighed myself.

If I had the ability to go by how I feel or how my clothes fit, I would never had needed weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TJFox
on 9/25/20 6:24 am, edited 9/24/20 11:24 pm

To me, going without weighing would be the same as taking a cross country trip with no map, no GPS, and no speedometer. I would not know for sure how I was maintaining unless I weighed myself.

That's a good analogy! Thirteen years post-op and you still weigh in daily and more than once a day! Now that's dedication and very inspirational.

Tekish
on 9/25/20 6:39 am
On September 24, 2020 at 10:22 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

I have weighed myself almost every day since surgery. Sometimes it might be four times a day. I am afraid of weight gain. It is so easy to gain where I am thirteen years after RNY. Any time that I do not weigh for a period, I am always heavier when I do weigh.

I weigh on a smart scale. It tracks my BMI, water, fat content, muscle content, and bone density. I am getting a dexa scan in the next month, so will be interested to see how close my scale is to the dexa.

If I had the ability to go by how I feel or how my clothes fit, I would never had needed weight loss surgery.

Going on a cross country trip with no map, no GPS, no speedometer.

This just may be the difference.

When I was in high school, I would drive into the Angeles National Forest with the purpose of getting lost so I could then figure the way out by a different path. If I was feeling particularly edgy I'd do it with the tank near empty.

Depending on the time constraints, I have driven to a distant city with no map and no GPS. It just makes a boring drive more interesting. I would see things I never expected. I guess it's the joy of discovery.

The reason I gained pre-op is because my OCD and binging ruled. How I felt was not in my calculus. Diets invariably failed. I was four square against WLS because 'I could do it myself' even when I demonstrated repeatedly I couldn't. One day that changed and I decided WLS was in my future.

All this is perhaps why I am a compliance nut. My thinking got me huge. I don't trust my thinking when it comes to diet. My Doc made compelling arguments why a scale is not important, why weight was not important, and why how I felt and what I do is important. And why staying on plan is important.

Isn't it amazing that WLS can help such diametrically opposed people?

Christina135
on 9/25/20 8:44 am

Every single Sunday morning. It works for me.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

Janet P.
on 9/25/20 10:53 am

Every day. I can tell by my clothes, but the scale keeps me honest. For me, it works. You have to find what works for you.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/26/20 4:45 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I weigh daily. I committed to that mentally when I decided on WLS because I felt it was important to get that serious. I had lost and gained so many times over the years I knew this had to be different.

I actually only weighed once a month while in the weight loss period, but daily once I hit maintenance. I wasn't weighing last year while my DH went downhill and that resulted in a 20 pound regain. I went back to weighing and tracking daily and got rid of the regain earlier this year.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

LisaKelley
on 9/28/20 7:44 am

I weight myself about 4 times a week. I want to see the weight come off and I don't want to creep up like I did 5 years after my sleeve. (I had a conversion on 7/7/2020).

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGoSSrA/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGoSSrA/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1398 views