How much weight did you lose pre surgery?

HaleyyGirl
on 10/23/20 12:10 pm

ok, I see. What did you do to lose the 10 pounds?

Partlypollyanna
on 10/23/20 2:31 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Dieted -- but as part of my pre op program, I had to identify 3 changes each time I met with the program staff, so the first was "no more alcohol, no fizzy drinks, and can't multi task while eating", then each time was three more things like measuring/portion control; don't eat anything that comes from a drive through window; etc, so that helped to lose the required 10 pounds.....of course, as we know, the trick isn't so much loosing the 10 lbs, it would have been keeping it off. Prior to WLS, I'd lost 100s of pounds, usually 10-50 at a time...but they always found me again.

The mindful eating, the changing small behaviors, they were very useful in building my coping skills post surgery. I still measure, when I'm getting lazy, I will force myself to have all my meals at the table and not do anything else; I have never gone back to drive throughs except for coffee!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

HaleyyGirl
on 10/23/20 3:39 pm

This is such a wonderful response and a great way for me to open my eyes to different ways to change habits now

White Dove
on 10/7/20 12:52 pm, edited 10/7/20 5:53 am - Warren, OH

I might be wrong but think she meant that she lost ten pounds over the six months preparing for surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Partlypollyanna
on 10/7/20 2:03 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

You are correct, I was very not clear in my response!! I think my program was rare in not having the liquid diet requirement as it seems pretty standard.

Jen

Kathleen W.
on 10/8/20 1:30 pm - Lancaster, PA

My surgeon wanted his patients to lose 10 lbs minimum. He said the weight loss was to help getting rid of the fat around the liver to help with the surgery and to show a commitment to the program after the surgery.

I did WW before hand and lost 40 lbs. I wanted to start learning how to eat healthy for the long term. It also taught me how to handle head hunger and other strategies to help keep weight off in the long term. It also keeps me accountable.

Good luck and best wishes in your journey

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

HaleyyGirl
on 10/23/20 12:11 pm

What are some ways you combat head hunger? how do you know when it's head hunger?

Kathleen W.
on 10/23/20 1:59 pm - Lancaster, PA

The way it was explained to me is that, if it's head hunger, there's a possibility that I'm dehydrated, overtired, etc. There's times that I will start doing something to occupy my time temporarily such as walking the dog while drinking water, make a list of what I need to do later in the day. Real hunger will be satisfied with a piece of fruit, string cheese, etc. If it's head hunger, I want Ring Dings, ice cream, etc.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Partlypollyanna
on 10/23/20 2:25 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Early on in my process, one of the vets here said a good test of whether you're hungry or it's head or other hunger is to ask yourself "would you eat a chicken breast".....if the answer is no, chances are it's not real hunger. I laughed when I first read it and it's astonishing how often I mentally ask it of myself!

Jen

Jmm4321
on 10/8/20 1:37 pm

I gained 10lbs during the 3 month insurance required Nutrionist plan. I was a 40 BMI so I didn't want to risk falling below the threshold and then having my coverage denied.

My dr didn't require a liquid diet before surgery.

Most Active