Hard time getting protein in

EllyFunt
on 10/8/20 1:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/20
Has anybody had trouble drinking protein shakes post-op? I am having trouble getting my protein in because I do not like shakes. I am fine drinking water all day but I know that's not good. I just feel so weak. Is this normal? What do you recommend? I have tried a few different shakes. I'm thinking protein water (But it's really sweet). I have tried Fairlife and it's still not enough I am starting to get nauseous drinking it
Want2beMe
on 10/8/20 6:44 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I drink carnation breakfast essentials light start chocolate usually twice a day because it has 15g of protein. Yummy. I used to like fairlife and premier protein but my taste changed. I haven't tried any protein powders. I also make sure to eat protein foods like fish or eggs.

Do you exercise? Going for walks could help with feeling weak by giving you energy.

EllyFunt
on 10/9/20 10:26 am
RNY on 08/21/20

YES! my taste buds changed. I don't know why?

I haven't been able to go walking because it's been in the 90's and up where I am. I still feel pretty weak and when I get hot, I feel that the weakness magnifies, so I have just stayed indoors. I try and do some laps around the house but I still feel like I am still healing 7 weeks out.

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/20 12:56 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I never liked the gummy taste of protein shakes either ... you can just put skim milk powder ( mix with water first) into your coffee or tea and get a fair amount of nutrition...

Obviously orange juice ( maybe cut with flavored seltzer )is an option- I really like Trop 50 mango-orange flavor or tangerine-orange when I can find it. Sweet but ( especially diluted) not sweet enough to trigger dumping nor is it really fattening calorie and sugar wise.

Don't forget to take your vitamins ( gummy ones are really easy to get down) as they will help heal you up quick and that will make your pouch more tolerant.

And feel free to try ( when allowed ) spoonfuls of fat free cottage cheese , egg beaters ( I make delicious fluffy scrambled eggs by mixing egg beaters w butter buds , fat free half and half , and a slice or two of fat free American cheese ) . The fat is a whole egg may make you nauseous at this stage- nine years post op I still can't handle two egg yolks ..

Fat free refried beans ( side with fresh salsa ) with fat free cheddar or American cheese melted on top is also a good " starter " soft food.

I think I could tolerate the chicken that comes in cans too fairly early ( not the fishy taste of tuna) mixed with ( get the theme ? ) Kraft fat free mayonnaise I ordered over the internet ( I personally can't tell the taste difference but some say they can) ... you can try light mayo also ... personally I don't find it very light lol and will only use it when I have no other option.

hope you feel better soon!

EllyFunt
on 10/9/20 10:31 am
RNY on 08/21/20

I have not been cleared to add juice or fruit to my diet. My surgeon only recommends protein and protein supplements (minimal to no carbs/sugar). Beans are a no-go as well, and I can only eat a little bit of cheese, just to add a little flavor.

I will try more canned or on the go chicken packets to see if that will help with getting variety. It's been a lot of mashed eggs, strained broth based soups, greek yogurt types of consistency foods.

I get to graduate to solid foods next week

Partlypollyanna
on 10/9/20 3:06 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Have you looked at the world according to eggface blog? She has many ideas for all the stages. Ricotta bake was great during the purée stage.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

EllyFunt
on 10/12/20 3:31 pm
RNY on 08/21/20

I will take a look! Thank you

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/20 12:59 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I ( still ) make a super-nutritious homemade protein shake once in a while - a cup of ice , a ton of fruit - I use a half a box of cored fresh strawberries for example and a ripe banana or two , 1/2 cup or so nonfat Greek yogurt ( the protein count is off the charts) and a bit of skim milk... yummo.

This is enough for two big shakes - I just refrigerate the second half and drink it the next day or later - just whip it again.

EllyFunt
on 10/12/20 3:34 pm
RNY on 08/21/20

I'll Keep this in mind for when I am approved for incorporating fruit into my plan. I think this would be way too much sugar for me right now

White Dove
on 10/9/20 12:15 pm - Warren, OH

After my surgery, I would have gladly drunk mud shakes, if that is what had been required to lose the weight and stay healthy. Keep trying different brands until you find one that you like. There was a health store near me that used to sell individual shakes in a foil packet that you mixed with milk or water.

I found a brand that I loved and I stayed with them for several years. Here are some recipes to try https://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-f avorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

It is probably too soon for fruit, but I did use strawberries and blueberries after six weeks. Because I added a lot of protein powder to things I ate, I lost very quickly and my energy stayed very high.

I bought an ice cream maker with its own compressor and made protein ice cream every day. If you like ice cream, I highly recommend doing that. You want one that is small, because this will be just for you. Here is what I would buy Half Quart Ice Cream Maker

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active