First AA meeting. Thank you for your support!

Tidgel
on 10/13/20 10:14 am, edited 10/13/20 10:28 am
RNY on 04/15/19

Well, I attended my first AA meeting last night. It was online and recommended to me by a member here. I was both nervous and tearful. I was immediately welcomed and it helped to hear others share their stories and similar struggles. I didn't say much this first meeting because I just wanted to soak it all in and wasn't sure how things would go. I can't get over the fact that some people have been attending these meetings for 15, 20 years or more. That's a commitment that I am not sure I am capable of but I will keep trying. I want to thank all of you who took time to respond to my post and who private messaged me. I will do all I can to stay sober.

hollykim
on 10/13/20 5:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 13, 2020 at 5:14 PM Pacific Time, Tidgel wrote:

Well, I attended my first AA meeting last night. It was online and recommended to me by a member here. I was both nervous and tearful. I was immediately welcomed and it helped to hear others share their stories and similar struggles. I didn't say much this first meeting because I just wanted to soak it all in and wasn't sure how things would go. I can't get over the fact that some people have been attending these meetings for 15, 20 years or more. That's a commitment that I am not sure I am capable of but I will keep trying. I want to thank all of you who took time to respond to my post and who private messaged me. I will do all I can to stay sober.

you do t have to worry about 15-20 years. All you have to worry about is today and then, tomorrow. Let the years take care of themselves. It works if you work it.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/20 12:34 am, edited 10/13/20 5:35 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I LOVE the zoom meetings !

You don't have to get dressed fancy or waste time driving to and fro... and in my case I mostly do some of my endless chores (pruning plants, washing dishes , folding laundry,straightening out my wardrobe...) while I listen to the meeting on my headphones.

I think I've made an average of three meetings a day ( almost all zoom) since I started getting sober 85 days ago ... not only did I get sober and abstinent from emotional overeating... my kitchen got cleaner my fall deck garden got prettier and more organized ... my wardrobe is no longer living on the floor but organized and hung up / folded where it should be ... the kitchen floor is mopped .. the sink is no longer full of drrty dishes... I can look around and feel proud of myself.

My BED is even made ! Thats a gosh darn Miracle right There lol !

And best yet .. I found a wonderful community of sober Grrrlz and guys online ( I make a lot of women's meetings as well as regular ones ).

I found a great sponsor ( she actually chose me and I'm very glad she did who I actually physically walk with every morning in Florida when I'm there )

And most importantly I've managed to stay Sober 85 days which I could Never do on my own.. ( I tried ).

I actually REMEMBER every day of these last three months ... every day of which I've been able to live to the fullest ... from making exercise a priority to eating well and making time for work as well as finding my own happiness through gardening, bubble baths , spoiling my lovely little Persian cat ...

Tidgel
on 10/14/20 8:36 am
RNY on 04/15/19

85 days! Congratulations! I am inspired by your courage and appreciate you sharing. I didn't consider how much alcohol abuse has been stealing from my everyday life until recently. I have finally realized (or admitted) that I cannot do this on my own either. My sister has agreed to start walking with me on a five mile loop. I don't know how I will do with that yet because there are lots of hills and I haven't walked five miles at one time in years. I hope I can share one day that I am 85 days sober.

Tidgel
on 10/14/20 8:13 am
RNY on 04/15/19
Tidgel
on 10/14/20 8:21 am
RNY on 04/15/19

You are right. Day by day for now.

Melody P.
on 10/14/20 7:23 am - Amarillo, TX

Sending you a hug! You took a huge and great first step. Like mentioned...don't worry about years, just think of the immediate next steps. If you think so much ahead it can overwhelm you.

you are doing great! Not to sound weird but I'm super proud of you!

Tidgel
on 10/14/20 8:20 am
RNY on 04/15/19

Thank you for your support Melody. It matters to me greatly.

White Dove
on 10/14/20 6:18 pm - Warren, OH

I never cared for the taste of alcohol. I have seen what it did to so many people. I have also know so many people who got their life back through AA. I am glad you took the first step and you will succeed one day at a time.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathleen W.
on 10/15/20 3:30 pm - Lancaster, PA

Tidgel,

Please be patient with yourself. You're definitely on the right path. You know that you're on the right path when the journey you're on both excites and scares you at the same time.

Please don't worry about the next few years. Work on yourself day by day. Moment by moment. Each moment leads to the next moment success. If there's a slip up, forgive yourself IMMEDIATELY!! And then get right back on track.

Make the most of your fellow AA people. Rely on the combined wisdom and strength of the people in your group.

You will succeed.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1227 views