How long after surgery before you went back to work?

Chacha831
on 10/16/20 4:48 pm

I am in the beginning process of it all and am wondering how much work you all missed after your weight loss surgery? I am considered an essential employee and am still working with the public and not able to work at home.

Tekish
on 10/16/20 5:24 pm

I think I was out of work for 2 weeks, including surgery.

The first week I tried to noodle around but I didn't have the energy or focus;

The second week I did probably 10-15 hours of work from home;

I had arranged to have a third week off, but I thought I would go in for half days, but they turned into full days;

Of note, my surgery was open and had my GB removed, a hernia fixed. I had drains which aren't normal. So, not your average surgery.

Even essential employees get vacation and sick time, no?

Good luck,

Tek

Chacha831
on 10/19/20 7:55 am

Thank you TeK. I only work part time so I don't have much room for too many days off but I will take the days I need to heal.

White Dove
on 10/17/20 6:20 am - Warren, OH

I was approved for six weeks off. I had surgery on a Tuesday and went home on Thursday. By Saturday I felt great and was walking, driving, cooking, and doing light housework. I went back to work on Monday. I have had dental work that left me more drained than RNY.

While everyone is different, my HR group said that on average, weight loss surgery people come back to work after two weeks.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Chacha831
on 10/19/20 7:57 am

That's amazing! What a fast recovery. I pray for the same.

catwoman7
on 10/17/20 6:49 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I took three weeks off but could have gone back after two (desk job). Although it was kind of nice to have that third week to work on figuring out what kinds of foods my pouch could (and couldn't) tolerate. But...if necessary, I could have gone back after two for sure.

Chacha831
on 10/19/20 8:05 am

Thank you for responding. My job is a on your feet all day job so I am hoping I heal fast.

Janet P.
on 10/23/20 8:52 am

One thing to consider is how you're reacting to your new eating/drinking regime. You don't say what type of surgery you're having. Assume it's being performed laprascopic which will definitely help with healing. You have to re-learn how to eat, etc., with your new insides. You're still having MAJOR surgery. I had the DS and work a desk job. I took a month off work and probably could have gone back after 3 weeks. I also went back part time for a couple of weeks.

It can be exhausting at the beginning just getting up, showering, dressing, preparing for your day, etc.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active