Feeling broken

free4ever
on 10/22/20 7:49 am - Elizabeth City, NC

I always try to be the encourager, the one who helps a friend balance or a family member problem solve. The problem is I neglect to think of myself. I am the nowhere to be found in my thoughts 1st thing in the morning and certinally not thought of last thing before I close my eyes. I am a caregiver through and through but why am I just learning at 49 that I'm useless to others if I don't care of myself 1st. I have learned I've allowed myself to be used, mistreated, and abused. I know there is an underlying cause of my eating disorder but I don't think it's something I can tangibly see. I think it's really a buffet of life events that need to be observed, diagnosed, reset and healed like a broken bone. We are all broken in some form. How many people would see someone that's hurting and keep on their own mission? Selfishness is a problem but so is neglect. There must be a balance between giving and taking and still remembering that You also have purpose and are valuable. Love to all today?? Remember you can't hate your way into a positive situation?? Be kind to yourself

Kellie

Tekish
on 10/22/20 8:28 am

All things in moderation, even moderation.

Spending your life focusing on others is a great way to avoid looking at yourself.

You are as important as anyone else you encounter. Your mission is at least as important as their mission.

Take the time and energy to be your own advocate.

And while everyone is in fact broken, and I am more than a little broken myself, there are many paths to renewal. Be open to them. Often the path is the destination.

Good luck,

Tek

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/20 5:59 am
RNY on 01/01/14

You're definitely not the first one here to have caregiving and codependency related issues !

Overeating and self-neglect are definitely symptoms of acting out codependency .

Look into ACOA ( adult children of alcoholics ) and Codependents Anonymous 12 step online meetings and their literature ( the workbooks are amazing ) .

Underearning is also a frequent symptom .

I find recovery and living your best life is like peeling an onion- you solve one problem only to see another lesser one more clearly .

But doing the work DOES pay off big time !

Most Active