When to buy new clothes?

Want2beMe
on 10/28/20 4:49 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I have plenty of sweat pants that are adjustable, but for jeans they are starting to fall down. Since I'm still losing weight would it make sense to wait to go shopping? I did buy some new shirts and I can fit in XL verses 2X. I was in a 24-26W pants and now I'm not sure what I fit in. Please let me know your thoughts, opinions, and feedback. Thanks.

Partlypollyanna
on 10/29/20 4:51 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Check out your thrift stores for less expensive clothes while you're losing. I was surprised how quickly I passed through sizes; I had some clothes in my closet that I looked forward to fitting back into...and by the time I tried them on, they were too big. Also, leggings can be helpful since they do flex a bit. My trigger for changing sizes was usually something like my boss mentioning "your pants fit like you stole them" (that is an exact quote, lol).

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 10/29/20 6:12 am - Warren, OH

I was working in a job where I needed to be very well dressed. The navy blue skirted suit, white silk blouse, gold jewelry, and high heels type of look. I had some clothes altered and I bought a small number of new things every month. I made sure I had pants and skirts that fit very well, even if I wore the same ones with different tops.

I was working with high class clients in places like the New York stock exchange or the financial district in San Francisco. I believe that always wearing clothes that fit well helped me to stay on track. I did not invest in a closet full of clothes until I was in size 4 and sure I was going to stay there. But I had nice things and looked well dressed and groomed in every size as I went down.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 10/29/20 6:31 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I also did most of my shopping at thrift stores since I was blowing through sizes so quickly. But luckily, I worked at a place where "business casual" was fine, so things like leggings were acceptable. Stretchy clothes like that could get me through a few sizes..

hollykim
on 10/29/20 8:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 28, 2020 at 11:49 PM Pacific Time, Want2beMe wrote:

I have plenty of sweat pants that are adjustable, but for jeans they are starting to fall down. Since I'm still losing weight would it make sense to wait to go shopping? I did buy some new shirts and I can fit in XL verses 2X. I was in a 24-26W pants and now I'm not sure what I fit in. Please let me know your thoughts, opinions, and feedback. Thanks.

goodwill is also a great resource.

LezetteChristineMua
on 10/29/20 9:32 am
VSG on 12/11/17

It is always exciting being able to fit in smaller sizes. I remember my 1st birthday after surgery I had gone from a size 30 down to a size 18/20. My dad took me on a shopping spree to Torrid and I got so many really cute clothes on clearance and I got sizes 20,18,16 and 14 I even snagged up some 0's and 00's. It was scary because I didn't know if those would ever fit but since I have 3 daughters I justified it in my head. I eventually dropped through all the sizes and last year at the OH Conference they had a Free Clothing Exchange where I was able to get more clothes that were even smaller sizes. During the transition I have passed many clothes on to my fellow Bariatric sisters as well as my daughters and my mom and some of them were even brand new with tags. So I say that with a little advice, be cautious because the weight drops and shifts so rapidly that I am now in a size 8 and they are somewhat loose. So the Torrid clothes no longer fit, this morning my hubby said, What size is your T-shirt it looks SO BIG? It's a 0 from Torrid which is crazy because I used to be a size 5 in Torrid Snug. Celebrate by buying 1 piece that you really like and shopping clearance or thrift stores or even asking your fellow bariatric family/support network. A lot of us are in the same boat and are more than willing to "Clothing Exchange" Congrats on your journey and Spread Kindness Like Glitter Lezette Christine Mua

Kathleen W.
on 10/29/20 2:51 pm - Lancaster, PA

I did a lot of Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Community Aid. Still do, come to think of it. There are occasional times that I don't find anything but that happens to me in major department stores. Most times, I get designer cloths at bargain prices. The ones I mentioned are really particular about what they take in, in a really good way.

Many people get versatile items that can be used with different parts: black skirt can be dressed up or down, khaki skirts and pants are the same way.. Change it out with different color blouses, sweaters, etc.

I still go to them because, the money I save in cloths, I can use it for vacations.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/20 7:16 am, edited 11/3/20 11:16 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I bought inexpensive cotton flattering clothes from places like Lands End .

I still wear most of them when I need something to go out in that?s super fast and plain ...

I wear my large size clothes in the house when I cook n clean - they get spattered and washed all the time and eventually graduate to the rag bag as washable eco friendly cleaning cloths .

I really believe in looking cute as you lose .

Wearing flattering outfits that make you feel proud is one of the rewards of exercising and making better food choices .

You can buy cute figure flattering and trendy sweat suit sets for at home and cute flattering cotton t shirts very cheaply at Rainbow shops too. You can't try on anything there but their prices are great and they carry cute n sexy clothes in plus sizes too.

Most Active