Getting rid of my old clothes

Tidgel
on 11/18/20 8:42 am
RNY on 04/15/19

I am finally ready to get rid of my old clothes that are now thankfully too big. I have been hoarding them and reluctant to get rid of them just in case I gain the weight back. But I can't live on what if's anymore. So now it's about deciding where to donate them. Goodwill? Women's shelter? I don't have any family members that my clothes would fit so that's out.

White Dove
on 11/18/20 10:08 am - Warren, OH

I packed up all of mine and took them to Goodwill. Make sure you get a receipt and save it for income tax time. You can take $300 this year without itemizing. You will feel much lighter without stuff you don't need cluttering up your closet and your life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tidgel
on 11/19/20 5:49 am
RNY on 04/15/19

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about getting a receipt for income taxes.

catwoman7
on 11/19/20 7:14 am
RNY on 06/03/15

you probably won't be asked for it (I never have been), but keep it with your returns in the off chance you're audited. If you are, you'll need it..

White Dove
on 11/20/20 7:58 am - Warren, OH

It is new this year. You can claim up to $300 on a return when taking a standard deduction. Just keep the receipt with your tax records.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/20/20 9:23 am, edited 11/20/20 1:23 am

My practical goal post of was to be a size 12 or below. I kept some well fitting clothes that were 12 or below. Over the years post op, I fluctuate between 4 and 10. XS-L. I keep stuff that I really like up to size 10 (or L), other - is all gone. A good, larger, plastic bin was great to keep the little bigger clothes. I di not keep anything I did not like on myself.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tidgel
on 11/30/20 6:13 am
RNY on 04/15/19

That is exactly how I am sorting now. It's hard to let go of some clothing but If I am not wearing them now or even as a pre-op, there are getting donated.