Thanksgiving-Gathering with family or not?

TJFox
on 11/21/20 7:11 am

Well this Thanksgiving is going to be one celebrated with just my father and I. It saddens me because he is very sick and his own family can't come spend the holidays with him. We always have had family over and a turkey and ham with all the fixings. So with it being just me and him this year, I am not sure what to fix. He can't eat a lot. I am thinking maybe he and I can split a prime rib from Texas Roadhouse? His birthday is the very next day and no family will be here. How I wish things could be different but we can't take the risk of anyone coming into the house with his illness. How are things going with your families? Are you going to still have family over for Thanksgiving? Or just keeping it to a select few?

catwoman7
on 11/21/20 7:21 am
RNY on 06/03/15

my family will not be getting together this year, but fortunately, most of us live within about 20 miles of each other, so we'll have other opportunities. My mom is in a senior independent-living apt complex. The management will be delivering Thanksgiving meals to everyone's apt, so she'll just stay there. My sister and brother-in-law will be having T'giving alone at their house. Not sure what my 20-something niece is up to - she lives in an apt with two roommates. DH and I will be here at our house. We did invite my mother-in-law (who otherwise stays holed up in her apt all the time because of her age and her medical issues), but now that the county has disallowed any indoor gatherings except for the people you live with, I'm not sure what we're going to do. I guess deliver a meal to her? Not sure yet. But she was the only family member originally planning to come over here for T'giving dinner.

TJFox
on 11/23/20 8:44 am, edited 11/23/20 12:56 am

I know it's so hard this year all the way around. Christmas unfortunately will probably be the same. It's heartbreaking because I am pretty sure these are the last holidays for my father here on this earth.

It so very fortunate that your mom lives in a senior apartment complex that cares enough to deliver meals like that. We don't have the restriction of just keeping it to the people you live with but might as well have since no one can come around due to my fathers health. Delivering a meal to your mother-in-law sounds like a good plan!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Melody P.
on 11/21/20 7:23 am - Amarillo, TX

My brother and his family are coming over...we help watch the kids so we are around them at least twice a week anyway. 7 all together here. I'm not exactly thrilled with it but as per the usual it's not up to me. Lots of sanitizing lol

we got a turkey breast and ham...since I am dairy and gluten free I have to make my own sides and a lot of theirs. We usually have 4 more than this but my aunt and uncle...and my cousin and her husband are staying home. That's a relief. I worry about my aunt with Covid-19....it's really bad here.

TJFox
on 11/23/20 8:56 am

Lots of sanitizing is the name of the game! It's great that you get to have family over for the holiday. Another chance to create memories. I have to admit that I understand why you are relived too. I always do all the cooking for the family and it is very stressful. We usually have up to 20 family members. Most of us at together but some just stop by and grab a plate at all hours of the afternoon. I am mostly sad for my father as his health is rapidly failing.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Melody P.
on 11/23/20 9:19 am - Amarillo, TX

I understand being upset for your dad. I was my grandparents caretaker. To see them when family can't or won't visit is hard. They tend to be isolated anyway the older they get and when something like this happens it just amplifies that. Sending you good thoughts and your dad!

This covid stuff has altered life forever. It's so hard.

I hope you have a wonderful day with your father!

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/20 8:08 am
RNY on 01/01/14

My ' rents and I are lucky enough to live near each other and we have no extended family in this country regrettably so we will be together and I'll be cooking.

I get to make everything tasty this way but low-fat and low sugar ! ( and I can actually EAT it not just take " tasting " bites )

TJFox
on 11/23/20 9:00 am

A nice quiet small family dinner is sometimes the best way to go. Have a happy Thanksgiving and happy cooking day!

White Dove
on 11/21/20 9:24 am - Warren, OH

Thanksgiving has always been a huge gathering for us. Even if I cooked my own turkey, I went to the family get together for dessert.

This year I will cook for me and my boyfriend. Then we will just be at home all day. The virus is terrible here and we will do what we need to do to keep everyone as safe as possible. I am making a turkey breast, gravy, potatoes, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, Waldorf salad, and two pies. Most of it will be used for leftovers and meals for about a week.

I have decided to put up a tree and make a normal Christmas dinner too. I get the groceries delivered and stay at home as much as possible. I am thankful that there is a vaccine on the way and hopeful that next year's holidays will be full of parties and people.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TJFox
on 11/23/20 9:13 am

It sure sounds like you have a nice Thanksgiving day planned even though you can't be with your family. Keeping others safe is a priority. I wish we had grocery delivery here but I live way out in the country and that is not an option. I go out once a week. N95 Mask on, sanitized up going into the store and sanitized up when I come home, wiping down the bags and grocery items. Then I shower and put the clothes I wore to the store in the washer before I check in on my father.

I think it's great to keep up the traditions. I am thinking now I will make a turkey breast as well, gravy, stuffing, green beans and cranberry sauce just so my father can experience a little bit of Thanksgiving. He wants raisin filled cookies for his birthday the next day. I have never made them before so that will be fun. I am my mothers daughter but I cannot cook as good as she did! Fingers crossed.

Most Active