Amazing Low-fat and Healthier Bacon Substitute ( Truly Authentic Taste )

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/20 9:01 am, edited 12/1/20 9:12 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I'm not a huge bacon fan but its strongly called for in some recipes . I used to buy the thick cut meaty kind and render the fat and throw almost all of it away, keeping the meat for flavoring-

I recently discovered this practically fat -free but very tender smoked Pork Loin substitute from a Polish/Hungarian Chicago based meat curing company named Bende . Being Hungarian, we order their smoked sausage to flavor a ton of ethnic dishes ( and its far higher quality than the fatty stuff you can buy in Hungary lol!)

It costs about 5 bux for a giant piece ... but the shipping price is brutal so we usually order a ton about every six months . The cured meats do not need to be refrigerated until opening ( though keeping them in a cool spot is recommended ) .

The stats are amazing too 1.5 grams fat 0 carb for 16 grams protein !

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/1/20 9:53 am

This is also called: "Canadian bacon". Its not a bacon substitute, but lean type of bacon.

Some European stores may carry that fresh. I know a lot of stores that sells polish food should have that. The "Canadian bacon" can be just smoked, or smoked and boiled. I love them both.

BTW: in polish they are called "polendwica" - very lean pork tenderloin, that is just smoked, or smoked and boiled. The first one when thinly sliced is absolutely wonderful.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

TJFox
on 12/3/20 7:32 am

I appreciate you sharing your insights. Learned something new already today!

TJFox
on 12/3/20 7:29 am

Thanks for the great tip!

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/20 4:44 am
RNY on 01/01/14

To me smoked Canadian "bacon" tastes a lot like ham.

The Bende smoked pork loin REALLY gives you an amazing authentic bacon taste without the fat.

There ARE some dishes that use authentic bacon flavor as an accent ... for instance a BLT.

Personally I choose to make a higher protein, lower fat ( probably lower calorie) version if I can keep the same taste profile as the original recipe .

SuMari
on 12/7/20 10:31 am

I'll have to look for this the next time I go to the store! I can use this for my lean protein for dinner!

Most Active