should i be embarrassed that i have weight loss surgery

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/20 7:17 am

should i be embarrassed that i have weight loss surgery

White Dove
on 12/6/20 10:37 am - Warren, OH

I kept pretty quiet about it at first. After I lost the weight I told everyone. I did not want them to think that diet and exercise worked that well. There have been times when I have been upset or embarrassed by people's remarks about it. It was 13 years ago, so I almost never talk to anyone about it now.

Most of the world thinks it is the lazy, easy way out. So when you talk about it, don't be surprised by negative reactions.

It is too bad, because there are many, many people whose lives would be so much better with weight loss surgery, but they don't get it because of the way that other people would judge them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

miladluuk
on 12/9/20 4:03 am

Why you should be embarrassed, It's not a bad thing, enjoy your life.

Partlypollyanna
on 12/6/20 12:00 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Would you be embarrassed that you had a hysterectomy or your appendix removed? It's a medical procedure that you and your health care team have decided was necessary, I don't know why you would be embarrassed by that.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Tidgel
on 12/6/20 8:02 pm
RNY on 04/15/19

No reason to be embarrassed! Hundreds of thousands have weight loss surgery each year. You are making the important decision to get healthy again and to live your best life. And you are in good company here!

SuMari
on 12/7/20 10:17 am

I am feeling the same way you are and trying to keep a tight lip on who knows. Keeping it to myself for now and later on, after surgery (Which is scheduled for a couple weeks from now... YAY). This way, no one can try and talk me out of it

Janet P.
on 12/7/20 10:35 am

Only if you choose to be embarrassed by it. I was loud and proud of my WLS (as well as my success with it).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Naomi_Grad_Student

on 12/8/20 1:57 pm

Short answer, NO. There is no shame in your body size or how you've decided to take care of your health. There is no "right way."

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/9/20 2:57 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

You shouldn't feel embarrassed, but it is your decision as to who to tell. I only told a few family members in the beginning but after I reached goal I started sharing with others who genuinely wanted to know how I lost the weight. I think some of them pursued WLS because of those conversations.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1375 views