Will you be getting the Covid Vaccine?

SidneyLeiFrances
on 12/10/20 6:51 am

With all the news about a Covid Vaccine coming out, I have been thinking about whether I want to get the vaccine or not. I am reading that having the vaccine will be required to be able to travel? I don't think I want to take a vaccine this early in the research and productions stages. Will you be getting the vaccine when it becomes available? If yes, then why? And if no, why not?

Melody P.
on 12/10/20 7:24 am - Amarillo, TX

I am more scared of COVID than the vaccine. There have been over 50 people in my city of 200,000 die in the last 5 days. I don't want to lose my family so I'll be getting the vaccine when available to me to protect not only myself but others.

SidneyLeiFrances
on 12/16/20 8:20 am

Gosh, I am sorry to hear so many in your city have died due to the virus. I live in a small town and have not heard of anyone locally getting the virus but in surrounding towns I have.

hollykim
on 12/10/20 8:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 10, 2020 at 2:51 PM Pacific Time, SidneyLeiFrances wrote:

With all the news about a Covid Vaccine coming out, I have been thinking about whether I want to get the vaccine or not. I am reading that having the vaccine will be required to be able to travel? I don't think I want to take a vaccine this early in the research and productions stages. Will you be getting the vaccine when it becomes available? If yes, then why? And if no, why not?

I absolutely will be getting the vaccine as soon as I am eligible after the new administration is inaugurated.

SidneyLeiFrances
on 12/16/20 8:29 am

Who is eligible for the first roads of the vaccine? I will have to look into this more.

TheWombat
on 12/10/20 9:38 am, edited 12/10/20 1:39 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I can understand why you're concerned; this vaccine was developed and approved in record time. It's natural to worry that it hasn't been sufficiently tested. However, if you research it more deeply I think you'll find that it is well-tested. Here are a couple of things for you to consider. You don't need to (and shouldn't) take my word for any of these statements. Verify them with any trustworthy source.

Historically, vaccine testing has taken much longer. But this vaccine has been tested on huge numbers of people around the world. It's much more thoroughly tested than your yearly flu jab!

There are risks associated with any vaccine. But the risk from COVID-19 is much worse.

You may have heard that a few people have had allergic reactions. This can happen with any vaccine, but it's a known risk, and the person who administers the vaccine is trained to deal with it (usually an epipen/adrenaline injection). This is why, when you get your yearly flu jab, they ask you to hang around for 15 minutes or so, just in case.

You might be worried that the vaccine will affect your DNA. If you end up getting the RNA vaccine, what you'll get are tiny snippets of RNA (not DNA) that will degrade in a few days. DNA produces (encodes for) RNA, which produces proteins. The process isn't reversible; the vaccine won't modify your DNA.

Historically, research labs have worked on medical advances separately, keeping things secret until they are ready to publish. But the search for a COVID-19 vaccine was different. Institutions agreed to share work-in-progress. As a result, these vaccines were under intense scrutiny during development and testing.

Normally scientific studies are hidden behind paywalls. If you aren't affiliated with a university, research group, or company that pays for an expensive annual subscription, you have to pay for each article you want to read (usually ?25 to ?35). But scientific publishers generally made all articles related to COVID-19 freely available. So again, the research has been under intense scrutiny by experts around the world. This is science at its best.

TheWombat
on 12/10/20 9:49 am
VSG on 06/11/18

One of my favourite sources for information about COVID-19 is Dr. John Campbell. He's been reporting on the pandemic since day 1. He has a knack for explaining medical information in a way that lay people can understand. Here are a few videos you might find of interest.

first peer-reviewed vaccine evidence

about the mRNA vaccine

SidneyLeiFrances
on 12/16/20 8:35 am

Thanks for the links!

summerset
on 12/13/20 4:55 am, edited 12/12/20 8:56 pm

On December 10, 2020 at 5:38 PM Pacific Time, TheWombat wrote:

[quote]Historically, research labs have worked on medical advances separately, keeping things secret until they are ready to publish. But the search for a COVID-19 vaccine was different. Institutions agreed to share work-in-progress. As a result, these vaccines were under intense scrutiny during development and testing.

Normally scientific studies are hidden behind paywalls. If you aren't affiliated with a university, research group, or company that pays for an expensive annual subscription, you have to pay for each article you want to read (usually ?25 to ?35). But scientific publishers generally made all articles related to COVID-19 freely available. So again, the research has been under intense scrutiny by experts around the world. This is science at its best.[/quote]

Plus it shows what's possible when truckloads of money are pumped into research and you don't have to go banging doors and begging for money.

SidneyLeiFrances
on 12/16/20 8:34 am

Thanks for this information! I learned a lot from your post. I really need to do more research.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1349 views