Anyone used laxatives to help lose or maintain your weight?

Carol_McD
on 12/10/20 5:00 pm

I am considering using them occasionally to help keep my regain bounce down and maintain weight loss. I had surgery 16 yrs ago and I am creeping back up, especially this year. I know it is due to being shuttered in during the early part of the year and not getting out much so I was considering using these to help out ( I will be home and close to a bathroom, so why not)

Has anyone attempted this or had success in losing/maintaining?

Ladytazz
on 12/10/20 6:04 pm

Bad idea. You aren't going to lose any weight long term. I have chronic constipation and I am very careful about using laxatives as it makes things worse for me.

There is only one solution for weight gain and that is to clean up your eating habits. Laxatives, like WLS, is not the easy way out.

I really strongly advise you to talk to someone because your thinking doesn't sound very good about why you have regained some weight if you think that laxatives could be helpful. Maybe your surgeon's office has a support group or counselor you can talk to.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

catwoman7
on 12/11/20 6:12 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree - really bad idea. Using laxatives to lose or maintain weight is in the same category as self-induced vomiting to lose/maintain weight. That's bulimia - an eating disorder. I wouldn't go down this road AT ALL. The only good way to lose weight is to re-examine your eating habits and make the necessary, healthy changes.

Melody P.
on 12/11/20 7:31 am - Amarillo, TX

I agree with the previous posters. Bad bad bad idea! It's an eating disorder. It's not healthy and just a bad bad idea.

I would suggest seeing a counselor that specializes in eating disorders. I have before and will again when my insurance allows it. I have binge eating disorder and it requires help.

hollykim
on 12/11/20 9:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 11, 2020 at 1:00 AM Pacific Time, Carol_McD wrote:

I am considering using them occasionally to help keep my regain bounce down and maintain weight loss. I had surgery 16 yrs ago and I am creeping back up, especially this year. I know it is due to being shuttered in during the early part of the year and not getting out much so I was considering using these to help out ( I will be home and close to a bathroom, so why not)

terrible idea. Absolutely terrible. Occasionally will never happen. Laxatives are habit forming. Using laxatives is what people who binge and purge often use. Please seek counseling cause this is the beginning of possibly more than one eating disorder for you. Please seek help.

Christina135
on 12/11/20 11:33 am, edited 12/11/20 3:33 am

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

Dee_Caprini
on 12/11/20 1:25 pm

I don't use them to lose weight, I use them to help me stay regular. Any "pill" that promises weight loss is only a short term fix and will no give you any real results long term. Best to talk to your nutrition expert and make some changes to your diet to try and get back on track. Are you able to make a telemedicine appointment? I am on my "back to basics" program to try and get myself out of this funk we call 2020.

Tidgel
on 12/14/20 6:23 am
RNY on 04/15/19

I don't think laxatives are the answer. When I was younger, I tried laxatives to help me lose weight. It didn't work longterm and I barely lost anything in the first place.

Janet P.
on 12/15/20 3:01 am
On December 11, 2020 at 1:00 AM Pacific Time, Carol_McD wrote:

If laxatives were meant to help maintain or lose weight then it wouldn't be considered an eating disorder for people who use them. DO NOT DO IT.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/20 12:19 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

Exercise stimulates elimination .

We are BUILT to walk at least five miles a day ... and our sympathetic nervous system ( that controls elimination ) works best if it receives the gentle massage and stimulation from exercise .

Laxatives will take away all your energy.

Even TEN minutes !! of exercise a day will make you regular ... I PROMISE .... ( and I Am ( seriously ) a Certified Personal Trainer )

hugs

Most Active