VSG revision after Kidney Transplant?

gina477
on 12/10/20 8:40 pm - Middletown, NY

Hello everyone, it's been a very long time since I've visited this site. I'm surprised I was able to log back in and my profile is still active.

So my story is VSG 10 years ago. My starting weight was 250 and I was down to 175 for the first 5 years. I slowly began gaining weight and now I'm up to 225.

Side story, I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 19 years old, which led to End Stage Renal Failure. I was able to get my VSG surgery because the doctors believed it would help with my blood pressure and slow down the kidney disease.

Fast forward to 2019, I received a deceased donor kidney transplant. With all the medications and the quarantine, I've managed to gain almost all my weight back.

My question is has anyone had WLS (or revision) after receiving a transplant? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

TJFox
on 12/11/20 6:24 am

You have been through so much. It's understandable that you have gained weight. From what I have heard, the medications alone can really cause weight gain let alone being in the middle of a lockdown.

I don't know anyone personally that has had a transplant after WLS. My cousin gave part of his liver to customer of his and the recipient was obese and I am pretty sure he had weight loss surgery years after the transplant. I will have to ask my cousin.

White Dove
on 12/11/20 4:05 pm - Warren, OH

As long as your donor kidney is functioning normally, I don't believe there would be any reason to not get a revision. You do need to talk to a weight loss surgeon and see what your options are.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends