Hit a plateau

Want2beMe
on 12/18/20 11:00 am
VSG on 08/17/20

I will be honest, I haven't been eating my protein first all the time. I'm still sticking to eating healthy but every now and then I treat myself to a goodie like a cookie or a bowl of ice cream. My exercise has been relaxed as well, Instead of 10k steps im getting between 6-8k steps. My next appointment is in 2 weeks and I haven't been losing weight. Anyone else hit a plateau early on and what did you do?

catwoman7
on 12/18/20 11:58 am
RNY on 06/03/15

as long as you stick to your clinic's eating plan, plateaus will eventually break and you'll be on your way again. But I would ditch the cookies and ice cream. You're still in that time period when it's super easy to lose weight, so don't sabotage it. It'll get harder and harder to lose weight the further out you go. Use this magical time to your advantage. There will be time for an occasional cookie or scoop of ice cream later - like when you hit maintenance.

Partlypollyanna
on 12/18/20 2:43 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

If you switch back to putting protein first, getting the exercise and sticking to your plan, that will help break the plateau.

hollykim
on 12/19/20 6:58 am, edited 12/18/20 10:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 18, 2020 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time, Want2beMe wrote:

I will be honest, I haven't been eating my protein first all the time. I'm still sticking to eating healthy but every now and then I treat myself to a goodie like a cookie or a bowl of ice cream. My exercise has been relaxed as well, Instead of 10k steps im getting between 6-8k steps. My next appointment is in 2 weeks and I haven't been losing weight. Anyone else hit a plateau early on and what did you do?

I?ll be honest too, this is not a real plateau. This is eating things whose calories are absorbed 100%. I?m afraid that as long as treats are part of your plan, there wont be anymore weight loss.

TheWombat
on 12/19/20 9:22 am
VSG on 06/11/18

One of the things that surgery did for me was it ended my addiction to sugar. I never want to experience that out-of-control feeling again. Fortunately, there are sugar-free versions of all sweet treats that are basically just as good, so if I really crave something sweet, I can choose one of them. In place of chocolate bars, I have a low-sugar chocolate protein bar. In place of chocolate ice cream, I have low-sugar chocolate soya "yoghurt". If I want gummy bears, I have sugar-free ones, or better yet, dried mango. Those treats might take me a little over my calorie limit, but they don't rekindle my sugar addiction, so I can get back on the wagon the next day.

Because I avoid sugar, on the rare occasions (perhaps once or twice a year) when I do have something sweet, it makes my stomach feel slightly uneasy. That reinforces my desire to avoid it.

Note: When I say I avoid sugar, I'm talking about added sugar. Although fruit contains sugar, it is packaged with fibre (as long as you eat the whole fruit rather than drinking the juice), so it fills you more quickly and doesn't seem to trigger sugar addiction.

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/20 4:47 am
RNY on 01/01/14

Ice cream is a particularly dangerous " slider " food (the amount you eat is not controlled by your pouch size because it slips right through ) which can lead literally to regaining ALL the weight you lost ( or never losing much in the first place ).

Usually the foods that lead to regain /little weight loss are 1) fast food, 2) full fat full sugar "normal" ice cream, 3) full fat cheese 4) butter and oil 5) and full fat full sugar baked goods.

So obviously you're playing with fire.

You may be reading the RNY menu thread and registering the ITEMS without the quantities and overall calories and the almost daily exercise reported in those posts .

Yes people maintain big weight loss numbers occasionally taking a few bites or very small servings of treats ... but they're often either carb-smart low sugar versions or ice milk ( skinny cow, Yasso frozen yogurt ) in my case.

And usually these same posters are eating 800-1200 calories daily and also working out .

The reason we post on the RNY thread is because its super easy to regain ( and easier the further out post op you get ) .

Most successful vets will advise you to use the first two years to get as healthily low as possible knowing there will be a bounce back 20 or more lbs ... to build calorie -burning muscle mass ( which will also fill out excess skin in an attractive way ) and strive to take off the empty fat cells through excess skin removal/liposuction because they generate hunger hormones that encourage regain.

((((()))) Good luck , hugs

Want2beMe
on 12/20/20 7:07 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I guess cheating on my diet is my own fault for not losing weight. I would like to blame it on Aunt Flow, but this has been going on for a month. I need to get back into my routine that I did so well on and stick to it. Thanks for the advice and keeping me in check.

White Dove
on 12/21/20 6:30 am - Warren, OH

Once you start back to sugar, it is almost impossible to stop. Most of us needed the help of a therapist to lose all our excess weight and keep it off. Ask your surgeon's office if they can refer you to someone who specializes in this type of therapy.

For my first three years, I had zero sugar, zero flour, very low carbs, and very low fat. I did not eat "real" bread, cereal, cake, cookies, ice cream, candy, rice, or potatoes. Any treats were sugarfree and low fat. I bought an ice cream maker and made my protein shakes into ice cream every day. I baked muffins, cakes, and cookies from flaxseed, almond meal, eggs, and artificial sweeteners. If I ate candy, it was sugarfree and more than two pieces would result in an unpleasant experience.

I exercise seven days a week. I don't need a rest day from walking.

This does not get easier. Your body will fight hard to get back to the weight that you lost. I am thirteen years out from surgery and accept that I am either on a diet or gaining weight. And that will be for life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 12/21/20 9:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 21, 2020 at 3:07 AM Pacific Time, Want2beMe wrote:

I guess cheating on my diet is my own fault for not losing weight. I would like to blame it on Aunt Flow, but this has been going on for a month. I need to get back into my routine that I did so well on and stick to it. Thanks for the advice and keeping me in check.

als, you had your surgery 5 years ago. Plateaus happen during active weight loss. How long has it been since you actively lost weight?
you may be eating too much in general. You may be eating so many calories that it is a maintenance amount and not a losing amount.
most of us can't lose if we eat more than 800 cals a day. are you weighing and measuring everything you eat every day?

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/21 12:58 am, edited 1/8/21 3:08 pm

I am in the same boat, and I am looking for any tips and recommendations... Have you tried some supplements for this purpose? I like those from Canada Drugs a lot, for example, and I really think they are good and working. Maybe you will find those helpful to you too, good luck!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1371 views