Medical support belt?

Quil
on 12/21/20 8:24 am

Have my sleeve surgery scheduled for 31st. Aunt had a rny almost 30 years ago and said I should get a medical support belt. I asked my surgeon and he said it's not needed. What is everyone's experience with or without them.

catwoman7
on 12/21/20 10:02 am, edited 12/21/20 2:06 am
RNY on 06/03/15

she would have had open RNY (as opposed to laproscopic) if she had it 30 years ago, which is a much more invasive surgery with much larger incisions. It's not really necessary these days since almost all weight loss surgeries are now done laproscopically, so you'll have 4 or 5 very tiny incisions. Some people find binders comfortable, though. I would say most of us didn't need or want them, though.

I did have an abdominal binder when I had my lower body left (plastic surgery), but I had huge, long incisions for that - plus they would have cut through fascia and (maybe?) muscle. So it was much more extensive. My RNY incisions were really small holes that I can't even see anymore.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/20 12:24 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I wore a LOT of binders 6 weeks plus after my plastic surgeries ( of course I purchased changes ) .

TOTALLY WORTH IT .

WHY R we so CHEAP w ourselves ?

My scars R barely visible as a result

Quil
on 12/21/20 1:33 pm

Ok so only for the plastic surgery not the initial bariatric

White Dove
on 12/22/20 5:25 pm - Warren, OH

i wore a binder after my laparoscopic RNY and found it gave a lot of support to my back during the first few weeks. I had my RNY in 2007 and they were debatable then. Some surgeons thought they were necessary and some did not. I think it cost about $25 and my insurance ended up paying for it. If you end up with back pain after the surgery, you will be glad you had it.

It is a lightweight Velcro binder. It helps with pain and swelling. After tummytuck I wore a compression girdle. Something like this one. My plastic surgeon required me to buy it before he operated.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1521 views