Sugar Free treats

SuMari
on 1/15/21 11:20 am

I am not at the stage yet, but wondering what kind of sugar free things you go to? Trying to get suggestions as I go.

Janet P.
on 1/15/21 12:05 pm

Not sure what surgery you had, but sugar free items (particular candy) are made with sugar alcohol, in particular maltitol. I had the DS and sugar alcohols make me violently ill (bloating, terrible gas, and diarrhea). Maybe it's because of my malabsorption. I avoid anything that is marked "sugar free".

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

catwoman7
on 1/15/21 7:07 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

there seem to be a lot of people, like Janet, who can't tolerate artificial sweeteners (esp sugar alcohols, the ones that end in -"itol", but I've luckily never had issues with any of them.

I always have sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles on hand. I also eat a lot of sugar free breath mints to keep myself from eating other things. I use Swerve sweetener (both white and brown) for baking, and I put their brown sugar on sweet potatoes and in my homemade pumpkin yogurt. Also, any sweetened beverages I drink have artificial sweeteners in them.

White Dove
on 1/15/21 7:30 pm - Warren, OH

I learned that the package will say made with Splenda but then the ingredients will have sugar alcohols. I cannot tolerate them at all. Even some of the bariatric vitamins have sugar alcohols. I use either Splenda or real sugar and keep the grams below eight.

I always made my own sugarfree treats. Cookies, muffins, or candy. I find recipes on Pinterest or other sites and make sure that I avoid flour, sugar, and sugar alcohols. I have no problems with Splenda. I also use sugar free cool whip and sugar free Jello and puddings.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Lauren010110
on 1/25/21 2:20 pm - Victorville, CA

Stay away from Sugar free Gummy Bears... Still gives me anxiety. My doctor advised me to keep away from sugar alcohols and you'll be fine. Here are some helpful articles that I really enjoyed and were really informative

https://www.obesityhelp.com/?s=sugar+alcohols