Pregnancy after weight loss surgery

changingmylife2021
on 1/25/21 8:31 am

I have a question about having a baby after having weight loss surgery. I am in my 20's and have no children so I am worried about if the surgery will affect my ability to have kids. I searched online and see that after weight loss surgery women are at a higher risk for complications and that babies are more likely to be born premature. That scares me. I would be very grateful to hear from any moms out there that have had pregnancies after surgery.

***Also, were you able to keep your weight loss off after your pregnancy?

catwoman7
on 1/25/21 10:17 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I can't remember hearing anyone talk about problems with pregnancy post-surgery (at least not here on OH, that I can recall), but most surgeons recommend you wait a year before trying to get pregnant.

changingmylife2021
on 1/26/21 6:31 am

I was searching and looking back on older posts and didn't find anything negative either.

Lauren010110
on 1/25/21 2:12 pm - Victorville, CA

I had the same questions. I was able to get to my goal weight/within range and made sure my labs were good, and asked if I was cleared and got pregnant the first month we "actively tried". Healthy pregnancy throughout, only gained 23 pounds and most of that was gone by the time I left the hospital. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl at 40+1, no issues whatsoever. I stuck to my bariatric diet for the most part and incorporated a little of whatever I was craving. I could see that my restriction was minimal but it came back for the most part. I breastfed for 2 and a half years with no issues too. Still down to my goal.

Talk to your surgeon and your PCO and your OB for any issues. The only different thing is that I DID NOT drink the glucose test drink (I refused since i have bypass and IN KNEW I would dump) so I requested bloodwork and supplied my food logs. The fact that I had minimal weight gain they were good with bloodwork.

changingmylife2021
on 1/26/21 6:34 am

I sooooo appreciate your post and your time sharing your experience with pregnancy after weight loss surgery Lauren. Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!

Most Active