Pregnancy after weight loss surgery

changingmylife2021
on 1/25/21 8:31 am

I have a question about having a baby after having weight loss surgery. I am in my 20's and have no children so I am worried about if the surgery will affect my ability to have kids. I searched online and see that after weight loss surgery women are at a higher risk for complications and that babies are more likely to be born premature. That scares me. I would be very grateful to hear from any moms out there that have had pregnancies after surgery.

***Also, were you able to keep your weight loss off after your pregnancy?

catwoman7
on 1/25/21 10:17 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I can't remember hearing anyone talk about problems with pregnancy post-surgery (at least not here on OH, that I can recall), but most surgeons recommend you wait a year before trying to get pregnant.

changingmylife2021
on 1/26/21 6:31 am

I was searching and looking back on older posts and didn't find anything negative either.

Lauren010110
on 1/25/21 2:12 pm - Victorville, CA

I had the same questions. I was able to get to my goal weight/within range and made sure my labs were good, and asked if I was cleared and got pregnant the first month we "actively tried". Healthy pregnancy throughout, only gained 23 pounds and most of that was gone by the time I left the hospital. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl at 40+1, no issues whatsoever. I stuck to my bariatric diet for the most part and incorporated a little of whatever I was craving. I could see that my restriction was minimal but it came back for the most part. I breastfed for 2 and a half years with no issues too. Still down to my goal.

Talk to your surgeon and your PCO and your OB for any issues. The only different thing is that I DID NOT drink the glucose test drink (I refused since i have bypass and IN KNEW I would dump) so I requested bloodwork and supplied my food logs. The fact that I had minimal weight gain they were good with bloodwork.

changingmylife2021
on 1/26/21 6:34 am

I sooooo appreciate your post and your time sharing your experience with pregnancy after weight loss surgery Lauren. Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!

Most Active
When did you leave the house?
mirandamacie · 6 replies · 425 views
My struggles - 1 week post op
mirandamacie · 3 replies · 278 views
18 Year Surgeriversary
Janet P. · 2 replies · 253 views
Palmini Pasta
VSGtoDS · 0 replies · 11 views
When did you feel normal?
K.Artemis · 0 replies · 14 views
Recent Topics