Allergic to premeir protien

Kelley_arts4life
on 1/29/21 1:10 pm
VBG on 10/17/16

I have used premeir protien for years. I recently purchased a case of cafe latte at Costco. The last few days I have had one snd had this mystery sore throat that seemed to come snd ho only after drinking a shake. I guess I?m slow I did not put two and two together till today. Within 20 minutes of consuming a shake on a empty stomach I went into Anaphylactic shock. I had to call 911. They jabbed me with a epi pen and dexamethasone. I spent 2 hrs in the ER before released. They did a blood test thst showed a significant rise in histamine and another marker that documents an allergic reaction. I tried to attach photo of actual container but it won?t upload.

Anyone else out there? I am wondering if this is just this flavor? Now I know it?s not a whey allergy. How do I know? Because I have never had a reaction to slim fast or Adkins coffee flavors. I have contacted premeir via email.

thank youPhoto of premier protien I consumed

Alexpope
on 1/29/21 12:56 pm
RNY on 10/21/20

It appears that the ingredients in premier protein (see below)are the same across the board so I guess my first question would be have you had this happen with any other flavor? Because if the ingredients are the same and you had it with this one flavor only, I doubt it is an allergic reaction to the drink itself. This may be a new onset of something you are allergic to within the drink and in general. IF that is the case you definitely need to have a dr. run some allergen tests since you had anaphylactic shock and most of those ingredients are in a lot of different foods. Since you have contacted premier already I am sure they will advise you to refrain from drinking the shakes because they are not able to control how our bodies respond to ingredients, especially if you have been drinking them for years. Glad you are alright though.

cafe latte

Water, Milk Protein Concentrate?, Calcium Caseinate?, Cocoa Powder (processed with alkali), Contains less than 1% of High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Natural and Artificial flavors, Inulin, Cellulose Gel and Cellulose Gum, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Carrageenan, Tripotassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Dl-alpha-tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E], Zinc Glycinate Chelate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Phytonadione [Vitamin K1], Potassium Iodide, Cholecalciferol [Vitamin D3], Copper Gluconate, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Cyanocobalamin [Vitamin B12], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Chromium Polynicotinate), Magnesium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate.

chocolate

Water, Milk Protein Concentrate?, Calcium Caseinate?, Cocoa Powder (processed with alkali), Contains less than 1% of High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Natural and Artificial flavors, Inulin, Cellulose Gel and Cellulose Gum, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Carrageenan, Tripotassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Dl-alpha-tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E], Zinc Glycinate Chelate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Phytonadione [Vitamin K1], Potassium Iodide, Cholecalciferol [Vitamin D3], Copper Gluconate, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Cyanocobalamin [Vitamin B12], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Chromium Polynicotinate), Magnesium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate.

Kelley_arts4life
on 1/31/21 8:20 am
VBG on 10/17/16

Yes it appears to be only this particular flavor against my doctors advice I actually tested this out and had a chocolate Premier protein yesterday and sat there waiting with my Benadryl and my EpiPen just in case. Nothing happened with the chocolate. I then assumed that maybe it was a one off and I opened another coffee one and took a sip and waited and within 20 minutes my tongue started swellingAnd my throat became scratchy and I immediately took two Benadryl's and within another 45 minutes I was fine. I think there's something wrong with the coffee flavored Drinks. A representative from Premier protein called me on Friday while I was at work. I could not return her phone call yet but I plan on talking to them on Monday and telling them about my experiences. I do have an allergy to wheat into grass. So I am going to inquire further and will keep everybody updated. But I was pleasantly surprised that a representative from the company attempted to reach out to me.

Kelley_arts4life
on 1/31/21 8:26 am
VBG on 10/17/16

I sent you a response I don't know if you'll see it because evidently I'm not trusted enough to have a conversation with anyone without somebody moderating me. So let me just say this and hopefully this will get through this is not a one off. After reading your response I decided to try another of the trick in chocolate flavor. I have been drinking the chocolate one for years. I had no reaction to the chocolate one. Later that day I thought well let me try another one of the coffee ones. I had my brand new EpiPen and bottle of Benadryl right by my side just in case. Within 20 minutes of drinking it my throat started to swell I couldn't breathe and I had to use the Benadryl to reverse the reaction. I have reached out to Premier protein and they have reached out back to me. I intend on completing that conversation on Monday with them.If it's allowed dince I'm being moderated, I will leave an update as to how that conversation went.

Member Services
on 1/31/21 2:26 pm, edited 1/31/21 10:22 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Kelley!

I wanted to clear something up for you since you believe you are moderated. This is not the case. ALL new member sign ups are on a 48 hr clock before their able to post without approval. This helps us to prevent spammers from posting. This is also outlined in the TOS

Hopefully since you have been able to pin point that the Cafe Latte is the issue, you will be able to still enjoy the other flavors, but please continue to be cautious.

Take care!

Member Services

catwoman7
on 1/31/21 4:15 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

must be one of the flavorings they use in the coffee one that you're allergic to.

Tidgel
on 2/2/21 6:13 am
RNY on 04/15/19

I love Premier Protein shakes and have had no issues with any of the flavors. Cookies & Cream is my favorite! I have not tried the ones with oats yet. I hope you are able to pinpoint what exactly you might be allergic to.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/2/21 10:05 am

After a few years I developed food allergies. Whey casein, soy, etc. etc.

The only way to know what you can be allergic to is to get tested.

After 2-3 years of avoiding even traces qty of dairy (i.e. in butter, in any foods) I became more tolerant to that. Whey proteins - even small qty would make me throat full of mucus and throat burning, and I would be losing my voice. So any dairy with whey, like i.e. yogurt, cottage cheese, other soft cheese,- I would get almost instant reaction, but aged cheese, the longer the aging, the easier was for my body to tolerate. I could eat some hard cheese once a week without having major issues. But more than once a week would trigger more antibodies to casein proteins to build up in my system and the reaction would come faster and stronger.

When I completely avoided dairy, soy, some other foods that I am allergic to for 3 years, and then got tested, my test results showed as "no reaction" to foods that I had a very strong reaction. Unfortunately that second allergist simply stated "you are not allergic to it" and walked out of the room. But when I resumed eating them, my allergies returned. I saw yet another allergist who simply explained to me that most likely, my food allergies went dormant after a significant time of me being super careful not get get exposed to them, and the amount of antibodies diminished significantly during the 3 years. And listening to my "story" he concluded that most likely some of my food allergies are due to leaky gut, where undigested proteins (whey, soy - processed supper fine and very easy to absorbed) they enter my blood stream through leaky gut (damaged gut lining). The foreign proteins my body recognize as "not me" and start attacking them creating cascading reaction, up to anaphylactic shock. In most cases, it just simple histamine overload and allergic reaction like itching, redness, runny nose or acid reflux - inflammation of the pouch and esophagus.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

TJFox
on 2/3/21 6:21 am

I haven't had any issues with the Cafe Latte. You must be allergic to some of the ingredients? I know out of the blue I am now allergic to certain seafoods when I never was before. It must have been very scary to go through shock like that.

Most Active