weird digestive issues

dreamer1234
on 2/1/21 2:59 pm

i am 2 1/2 yrs post RNY & doing quite well having lost 250 lbs & kept it off but the past maybe 9 months or so i started having weird digestive issues. i was alternating between the runs & constipation, went back to my GI doc who said my IBS had come back so 6 months ago i saw weight loss surgeon & i said something "weird" is going on down there that doesn't seem normal. he did an exam & told me i had a rectal prolapse. to make a long story short i just had surgery for this a week ago to repair it, yea it got really bad and it was the most painful surgery i have every had in my life even though my surgeon was super. i have at least 5 more weeks of recovery ahead of me and am on a very strict diet. anyone else had this issue before after weight loss surgery or is this just a fluke? just wondering.

catwoman7
on 2/2/21 5:59 am, edited 2/1/21 9:59 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm not sure it's related. I've been hanging out on bariatric forums for the last six years and haven't seen any posts on this. I know many of us have constipation issues, but it doesn't seem like rectal prolapse would be related to WLS. I have "redundant colon", but I'm pretty sure it's not related to WLS, either.

Dina_Jospeh
on 2/2/21 1:29 pm
RNY on 06/03/14

I haven't had anything as sever as this, but since having RNY, I definitely have to watch what I eat if the food could make me gassy. For me, THAT is extremely painful (though I am not comparing to surgery... ouch!) because I just have to wait until it passes (pun intended, I guess) and the doctor said there is nothing that can be done about it. I deal with sever constipation as well and if I don't take my dolcolax every night I am doomed.

I hope you feel better soon and are healing comfortably

hollykim
on 2/3/21 10:49 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 1, 2021 at 10:59 PM Pacific Time, dreamer1234 wrote:

i am 2 1/2 yrs post RNY & doing quite well having lost 250 lbs & kept it off but the past maybe 9 months or so i started having weird digestive issues. i was alternating between the runs & constipation, went back to my GI doc who said my IBS had come back so 6 months ago i saw weight loss surgeon & i said something "weird" is going on down there that doesn't seem normal. he did an exam & told me i had a rectal prolapse. to make a long story short i just had surgery for this a week ago to repair it, yea it got really bad and it was the most painful surgery i have every had in my life even though my surgeon was super. i have at least 5 more weeks of recovery ahead of me and am on a very strict diet. anyone else had this issue before after weight loss surgery or is this just a fluke? just wondering.

I don't think it is related to WLS. Many ppl who have never had WLS have have recital prolApses. It could have started before your wls from your extra weight.

I don't think surgery from on your stomach and upper intestines would affect your rectum.

yes, constipation is a part of wls for most. Treat it every day, keep it manageable. Prolonged , frequent constipation can contribute to rectal prolapse so do nt let yourself getconstipated. Stay on top of it.

Most Active