My doctor against me having weight loss surgery

JackieLove
on 3/17/21 6:05 am, edited 3/17/21 6:19 am

I finally talked to my primary care doctor about maybe having weight loss surgery because of my health issues and was very surprised to hear that he thinks I shouldn't go that route. I am about 80 pounds overweight and he tells me that seeing a counselor and nutritionist would be best for me to do. I am feeling a little deflated because I have been excited to pursue surgery. Has anyone else had their doctor advise against surgery?

White Dove
on 3/17/21 9:52 am - Warren, OH

Mine did because he said it did not work and I would just gain the weight back anyway. I did not take his advise and got the surgery, lost all my excess weight and still have most of it off going on 14 years. But I agree with working with a nutritionist and counselor because you will need them if you have the surgery.

Your chances of losing the weight and keeping it off without surgery are about 3%. Your chances with surgery, a nutritionist, and a counselor are greater than 50%.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JackieLove
on 3/18/21 6:42 am

I wish my doctor knew about those statistics. Maybe its time to look for another doctor who will hopefully support me and support weight loss surgery.

White Dove
on 3/19/21 8:27 am - Warren, OH

It is sad that most people whose lives could be so much better with weight loss surgery will never get it because of attitudes like your doctor's.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kellet
on 3/17/21 12:14 pm

You have to do what is best for you and while some people will need to have a medical clearance by a PCP with some bariatric surgeons, you do have the option to find one that will support your decision if you need clearance. I do think you should still incorporate a nutritionist and counselor into your plan, as it will help you with long-term success with wls, but I don't think you should give up. My surgeon stated that most people who choose the option to lose excess weight with diet and counseling generally have minimal success that is not as impactful as surgery.

JackieLove
on 3/18/21 6:48 am

I won't give up, I can't. Ive tried all the diets and the weight just never stays off. I like my doctor but I will do what I have to do for myself.

hollykim
on 3/17/21 1:42 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 17, 2021 at 1:05 PM Pacific Time, JackieLove wrote:

I finally talked to my primary care doctor about maybe having weight loss surgery because of my health issues and was very surprised to hear that he thinks I shouldn't go that route. I am about 80 pounds overweight and he tells me that seeing a counselor and nutritionist would be best for me to do. I am feeling a little deflated because I have been excited to pursue surgery. Has anyone else had their doctor advise against surgery?

your doctor is wrong. If you could lose the weight and keep it off, wouldn't you have already done it? I am sure you would have.

it is not simply a matter of diet and excercise for most of us.

I seriously suggest you find another doctor who is more opening to helping you.

JackieLove
on 3/18/21 6:50 am

Yes I would have! I am going to do what I need to do for myself this time.

hollykim
on 3/18/21 5:06 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 18, 2021 at 1:50 PM Pacific Time, JackieLove wrote:

Yes I would have! I am going to do what I need to do for myself this time.

totally agree. I would have lost it snd kept it off, also, if I could have.

after wls, I have lost 121# and Maintained that loss for 11 years.

glad you are committed to standing up for what you know you need.

TierraMoone
on 3/18/21 7:00 am

If your primary doctor isn't going to be supportive of your choice to have surgery, maybe consider finding another doctor that will. Maybe there is another doctor within the same practice that will?