My doctor against me having weight loss surgery

Deb366
on 4/5/21 10:10 am
80 pounds isn't really that much considering the risks of surgery. I would try to lose weight with the other things first. (lifestyle changes, counselor, dietician, exercise) all things you will need to work on before and after WLS too. If you can do on your own always the best. After surgery there are lifetime issues to deal with, so always good to try your best ahead of time. Plus you didn't mention your health issues, are they ones that could be helped? Always a balance between risk and benefits.

Currently 125  pounds
Clarenced
on 4/5/21 11:16 am

I agree that you need to consult with a different doctor. Most of us on this site have gone thru a lifetime of losing and gaining, and we know that weight loss is a lot more complicated than merely dieting and seeing a nutritionist (altho these are helpful). I had lapband (yes, lapband) 14 years ago. It takes work, but I've maintained my weight loss and I have never regretted having the surgery. Yeah, you may regain weight, but it's not a given. You just have to be realistic and not think of the surgery as a miracle cure. You'll still have to work at it, but it's worth it. Rebounds are a problem, but you are much more likely NOT to regain the weight after bariatric surgery than without it. Your doctor is either uninformed about the benefits, or is inherently prejudice against obese patients. Maybe it's both. Despite the fact that the science of obesity has changed dramatically in the last decades, I'm still surprised at the number of medical providers who are inherently prejudice against obese patients. Consciously or unconsciously, many think of obesity as a moral failing on the patient's part: If you just apply some good old fashioned will power, you should be able to lose the weight. How often have we heard that surgery is "just a crutch?" What's wrong with crutches? A lot of people need crutches because they can't walk without them. See someone else, and good luck on your journey.

Most Active