Spring and Summer Goals

Tidgel
on 3/24/21 7:19 am
RNY on 04/15/19

This past year has been a tough one. I have stayed close to home and not ventured out much at all for my safety and that of others. I am getting really bored and need some changes and feel nature is calling me. So this spring and summer I am going to take up hiking and see how it goes. (I haven't hiked since I was in my late teens!) Id like to hike on well known trails that lead to waterfalls and other beautiful destinations so I am researching places in my area. I am excited to do this thing! I have no idea yet of what I will need to bring along my hikes besides the obvious or how far I will be able to walk so I am going to start off with the shorter hikes and hopefully bring someone along with me. My goal is to start with one hike a week and keep a journal of where I have hiked and the total distance etc. I hope I can meet my goals and continue maybe through the fall months too! Any hikers out there have any tips?

SidneyLeiFrances
on 3/24/21 12:46 pm

Hiking will be a goal of mine as well once I have the surgery and I can't wait.

Partlypollyanna
on 3/24/21 3:02 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Always make sure someone knows where you are hiking. Also, read the guidelines for whatever park you are in - out here, we have micro climates that can change super fast, plus poisonous/irritating plants and things like snakes and other wildlife. Usually the park will have all the rules at the trail head and also tell you what to watch for.

Take water, wear sunscreen and a hat, wear layers and good shoes. Hiking boots are heavy so unless you are going on very rough terrain or have bad ankles, you might like hiking shoes more.

have fun!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Tidgel
on 3/25/21 5:30 am
RNY on 04/15/19

Thanks for the tips! I forgot about hiking trail rules and guidelines. I checked out a few places online last night and I am so motivated!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/31/21 9:55 am

A lot of areas have hiking groups or hiking clubs. They often schedule hikes, short, long, easy to strenuous.

It's a good way to get experience and meat new people.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tidgel
on 4/14/21 5:31 am
RNY on 04/15/19

Thank you for the great idea! I hadn't even thought of hiking clubs.

Spruce
on 4/13/21 10:40 am

I don't know your location, but if you're able to visit Great Smoky Mountains National Park, you might look into the hike to Abrams Falls. I did this one many, many years ago and it was as rugged as I dared. It included rock and tree-root steps, a one-board width bridge (with handrail, though) and ended with a cold mountain pool under a waterfall. You can wade a bit so you'll want to pack some water shoes.

Indulge me for a moment with a painful note from my hike to Abrams Falls-- on this hike, at one point, there was a hiker returning downhill from the falls as my companion and I were hiking up. The returning hiker stopped about 20 feet after we passed, turned, and fished out his camera to take a picture of me + my companion- both of us with BMI over 50 at that point. I observed him doing this, turned to face him, and stared him down until he retreated in shame. What a miserable human.

For me, this was a rugged hike and a test of my ability, and I completed it with rubbery legs and drenched in sweat. My shame at being photographed was smaller than my pride in my accomplishment. But... I'd still like to reach through space and time and slap that guy. Ha!

Enjoy your planning, preparation, and training!

412/300/175

Tidgel
on 4/14/21 5:45 am
RNY on 04/15/19

What an accomplishment! Abrams Falls looks so beautiful and sounds like a nice hike. I hope to make it out that way one day.

I think I would have wanted to rip that camera right out of that mans hands! How completely rude!

I am really enjoying looking into things and went for a small hike to a waterfall in the next town over. It was an easy hike. I hope to work my way up to the longer and more challenging!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1126 views