Urine after surgery

Want2beMe
on 3/24/21 9:27 am
VSG on 08/17/20

I know it's been months since my surgery, but does anyone know why the nurses had to keep track of how often I urinated? They collected it in a hat before flushing. I still go to the bathroom A LOT due to the amount of fluids I drink. Will the amount of bathroom breaks subside? After I take my vitamins my urine is sometimes a bright yellow, is that because of my vitamins? Should I be concerned or tell the doctor?

Janet P.
on 3/24/21 9:51 am, edited 3/24/21 2:51 am

Fluid in, fluid out. The more you drink the more you pee.

The vitamins you take can definitely change the look (and odor) of your pee. If you're concerned, as your doctor.

I'm sure there's a real medical reason why they collect and measure your pee in the hospital. I just don't know why (but I'm sure someone else on this board will know).

P.S. I'm 18 years post-op DS and I pee alot (I drink a minimum of a gallon of water a day).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

TheWombat
on 3/24/21 12:25 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Vitamins definitely can turn your urine a bright artificial-looking yellow or orange; that's quite common. Mention it to your doctor at your next visit, but I wouldn't be worried in the meantime. Any other colour changes I'd call the doctor about; I wouldn't wait.

For a while after my surgery, not only was I peeing more often, but the need to pee was far more urgent. Before surgery, if I noticed I needed to pee, I could wait up to an hour before going to the bathroom. After surgery, I had to go the instant I noticed the urge, and I'd be worried I wouldn't make it to the bathroom in time! That problem diminished greatly over the first six months. I do still pee a little more frequently (because I need to drink more fluids than I did before surgery), but the urgency is back to normal.

Member Services
on 3/24/21 1:02 pm, edited 3/24/21 11:40 pm - Irvine, CA

After surgery, they are measuring your output to ensure you have no urinary retention which can happen from time to time. Also, if the dr ordered a UA they use that to send it to the lab

Everything Wombat said about the liquid in/out and vitamins are spot on I'm 21 y out and still have both issues

catwoman7
on 3/25/21 5:03 am
RNY on 06/03/15

the bright yellow color is usually due to one of the B vitamins. I take my B complex capsule in the afternoon, and my urine late in the day is noticeably brighter yellow than my urine in the first half of the day.

lmfontana4
on 3/31/21 5:16 pm
RNY on 03/24/21

Dehydration is very common after bariatric surgery. Therefore, after surgery not only do the nursing staff measure your oral intake, but also the urine output to ensure you are not dehydrated. Oral intake intolerances are not uncommon initially after surgery, especially due to anesthesia causing nausea and/or vomiting. The volume of urine output indicates your hydration status.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

Most Active