pre surgery opt out?

LeonaCR
on 4/19/21 5:36 am

I haven't gone through the process at all. I want to move forward with my health but I am so tired and don't know where to turn from here. I wish the best for you.

GRANDMAr
on 4/19/21 9:09 am
VSG on 10/21/16

Hi!

I went through all the prior pre-op processes and opted out about a week or two before surgery.

I lost a good amount of weight during the process and figured that if I continued, I'd be able to do it on my own.

I really don't know why I thought that since I gained and lost the same 25 lbs. a million times.

I was right, I couldn't do it.

I wound up going for the surgery about 3 years later and couldn't be happier!!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Teenie
on 4/19/21 5:10 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I did! I was supposed to get this done May 2015. Thought I'd join weigh****chers and buckle up and make it work. I also was not happy with the surgeon. Finally I wised up and did it two years later. Regret the 2 years I lost. But I did find a Bariatric practice that made me feel comfortable and that made all the difference.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

sue9999
on 4/20/21 8:05 pm
RNY on 02/08/21

I ultimately had the surgery, but did not decide until 2 months before I actually had it. The reason I was told I needed roux eh y was of an incidental finding of stage 3-4 NASH which is advanced liver disease. Plus I had Garrett's esophagus which is precancerous. So I switched to a Lego diet and practiced intermittent fasting. I lost about 35 pounds and thought I was doing good. Then I had a follow-up liver scan which showed no measureable improvement in my liver. After finding a study that compared Roux enough Y with extreme lifestyle changes which showed that, after 1 year, those who had RNY had significant improvement in NASH markers but no to very little improvements in the lifestyle changes group, I made a decision. I let the bariatric center know that I was going ahead with the surgery. I'm glad I took the time to research, study and ponder what was best for me and don't regret that I could have had it done months earlier. I felt at peace with my decision, though I didn't look forward to having surgery only because it was my third in a year.

The center was very supportive as I went through the prep preparation as an undecided and did not pressure me in any way. You don't say why you're on the fence but I believe you'll know what is right for you.

HW 243 SW 208 GW 125 CW 135

TierraMoone
on 4/21/21 7:15 am

I was more on the fence before starting the process. I did a lot of research and went back and forth on whether to have the surgery or not. I finally did and am very happy that I did so!

Queen JB
on 5/31/21 7:13 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Unscientific polls here on OH show that about 1 in a million people regret having surgery, but literally everyone regrets not having it sooner.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Most Active