VSG to RnY

PrincessPR
on 4/22/21 9:59 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

Hello!

So I'm several years out from VSG. I lost a lot but never met my true goal; however I'm happy. I'm now having significant issues with reflux and facing the possibility of needing surgical intervention which I've been advised would be revision to RnY. Has anyone gone through this?? Will I lose more?? How much different will my life change??

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

White Dove
on 4/23/21 4:44 pm - Warren, OH

The diet is the same. Your biggest change should be relief from the reflux. You may also lose about 20 pounds.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tomo
on 8/14/21 10:15 am

Just had a revision earlier this month, and I no longer have reflux. To me (everybody is different), it's easier without the gerd eating your stomach away feeling, and I don't have much of an appetite. Perhaps because I'm finally sleeping really well and that has a lot to do with appetite. I'm eating about 300-600 calories. I have to work to get my protein & calories. I've lost over 10 lbs since the revision. With VSG, I lost 17 lbs the first month, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to surpass that with the revision. It was always a struggle for me with the VSG although I would still classify it a successful VSG due to the weight loss. My surgeon, then, was conservative and made a 10 oz sleeve from the beginning. Again, everyone is different. As another said, some lose only 20 lbs.

White Dove
on 8/14/21 11:04 am - Warren, OH

If you continue to eat 300-600 calories a day, you will continue to lose weight. I stayed at about 700-900 calories per day after my RNY for the first six months. Almost all from protein shakes and lean protein.

I believe that the reason most people lose 20 pounds with revision is that they have learned how to overeat and just go back to overeating and stretch their stomach out again. That is only my thoughts. You started with a huge sleeve, so it is very encouraging that you lost weight so well with your VSG. Please keep us updated.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tomo
on 8/14/21 4:01 pm

Hoping to be able to stay under 1000 cal as you did for the first six months. Always concerned when the hunger will kick in again. I agree with you which is why I kept reiterating that everyone is different. I've known a few who had the revision and they lost nothing but they had good restriction with their VSG (unlike myself). I think that has a lot to do with it in my particular case.

Most Active