When can I return to work after having weight loss surgery?

Summerjoe
on 4/27/21 10:30 am

I am still in the beginning stages of research and options for surgery. As I mentioned previously I don't have insurance that will cover weight loss surgery but I am hopeful that I will find a way to pay for it myself. At work I am on my feet all day with no option to sit down and rest. Trying to get an idea of the time and pay I might lose if I am able to get the surgery. Thank you

nursedanna
on 4/27/21 10:41 am

several things to consider, your energy level after surgery will be low until you work your way through the diet stages and are on regular healthy food again. It is also a FULL TIME JOB the first 3 weeks sipping on fluid to keep up your hydration. If you are working on your feet all day, I would suggest minimum of 4 weeks off to heal and to get your self adjusted to the new drinking eating schedule. Heavy manual labor I suggest 6 weeks.

Summerjoe
on 4/28/21 5:49 am

Thank you very much for your advice!

KalesD
on 4/27/21 5:00 pm
RNY on 09/30/20

I'm an X-ray tech and work in a super busy department. I took 6 weeks. I wish I had taken 7.. and I only returned part time. The first few months back were rough.

Surgery 09/30/20

CW: 147.6 |SW: 221.6 |HW: 255

Learning my new normal, one day at a time.

Summerjoe
on 4/28/21 5:51 am

Thank you for sharing your personal experience after surgery KalesD!

TJFox
on 4/28/21 6:05 am

I think being able to return to work varies for each of us due to our individual health issues and also depending on what kind of job you do. For me, I was only out two weeks/14 days because I had no complications and I had a quiet sit down job.

Summerjoe
on 5/5/21 5:34 am

Sounds like you had a smooth recovery. Thanks for responding.

Janet P.
on 4/29/21 3:20 am

Of course everyone is different, but with the type of work you describe (on your feet all day and very active) would need more upfront recover. As others have already said, just learning to live with your new insides is a full time job.

I have a full time desk job and took a month off (I had the DS). I was also able to come back to work part-time for two weeks. At the beginning just getting up and ready for work was exhausting. You just don't know how your body will react.

But I've see other people over the years say that after 2 weeks they were back to work full time with no issues.

Too many factors - age, weight, type of surgery, type of work you do (no lifting for XX weeks/months), your overall health.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Summerjoe
on 5/5/21 5:35 am

Very good points Janet. Thank you!

Tri_harder
on 5/6/21 4:33 am

I had surgery on Wed. and returned to work the following Monday. Tri

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1448 views