What helps you stay accountable?

LeonaCR
on 5/5/21 5:45 am

I recently shared that I have a surgery date next month. My nerves are through the roof but at the same time I am unbelievably excited. For those of you that already had weight loss surgery, I was wondering what helps you to stay accountable the most? Support groups, an exercise buddy? Daily journaling? I really want to do this right!

catwoman7
on 5/5/21 5:47 am
RNY on 06/03/15

1) never, ever wanting to be morbidly obese again

2) daily tracking

LeonaCR
on 5/6/21 5:37 am

Never wanting to be morbidly obese again is at the top of my list!

Want2beMe
on 5/5/21 6:30 am
VSG on 08/17/20

Wearing my fitbit, Journaling, routine, and preplan meals.

LeonaCR
on 5/6/21 5:41 am

I just ordered a Fitbit. I have never seen one but have friends/relatives from out of state that have them and love theirs.

Tekish
on 5/5/21 6:43 am

I don't keep myself accountable in any traditional way.

I have never journaled food. I don't weigh myself at home. These, for me, can be crazy-makers.

My plan is simple to remember and I pretty much repeated it every day until it became my new normal.

I had no intention of being on a diet or worrying about weight the rest of my life.

What most others do would be a disaster for me. And vice versa.

Good luck,

Tek

LeonaCR
on 5/6/21 5:44 am

I understand and good point that what works for some may not work for others.

KDBaker
on 5/12/21 9:32 am - Exeter, NH
VSG on 10/16/17

I'm the same way! Tracking my food and weighing myself at home lead to being seriously obsessed with numbers. I'm at my healthiest when I plan my meals and snacks and then find opportunities to move as much as I can.

Janet P.
on 5/6/21 2:58 am

I had a local support group that ultimately turned into serious friendships - my surgery was 18 years ago and I'm still very good friends with several people.

I was accountable to myself - I vowed that because I risked my life to have the surgery I wasn't going to let anything stop me from it being successful. For me personally just having the surgery itself was risky. My mother also kept me accountable but she didn't know it. I made the decision to have surgery because my mother was living in a nursing home simply because she was too obese to rehab a broken leg (she never left - 5 years later she died of complications from diabetes - her leg never healed). I didn't want to become my mother!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

LeonaCR
on 5/6/21 6:03 am

Congratulations on 18 years! I do think support will be very important for me. I am lucky to have longtime supportive friends and family. You moved forward with a positive attitude to not let anything stand in your way of success and I hope and pray to do the same. Finally having the courage to even have the surgery has been a big step for me as I have been wavering back and forth for a long time. I understand how your mom and all that she endured helped to keep you accountable and sorry for your loss. I had an uncle who was mentally challenged and he was obese. He fell and broke his hip and had to go into a nursing home and once there (a year later) he broke his knee simply trying to get out of his wheelchair/had surgery and because of his obesity and immobility, he had an embolism and passed away a few days after surgery. That is a great fear for me having any surgery at all!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1304 views