7 mos post op and WOW

Alexpope
on 5/17/21 10:41 am
RNY on 10/21/20

I will be 7 months out on the 21st and all I can say is wow. I am down 170 lbs. I still have the girl who does nutrition at my surgeon's office telling me to eat more calories because I am losing too fast. I'm thrilled with my weight loss and have quit going to my monthly meetings because I seem to be the topic at each group of what NOT to do. Whether that is intentional or not I am not sure but I am a bit tired of it. I plan on continuing the way I have been and hope my weight will continue to go down. I am wanting to start incorporating some exercise into my daily routine but I am not an active person meaning I have never been into exercising or doing things like hiking or biking. I would love some input from people who were in the same boat as me and took up activities and what those were.

Want2beMe
on 5/17/21 12:35 pm, edited 5/17/21 5:35 am
VSG on 08/17/20

That's an amazing loss!!! I have never been one to exercise so I just stuck with walking. I use my fitbit and aim for 10-13k plus steps a day. I added in weights 3 times a week for 15-30 minutes. I also enjoy using the wii on weekends or during bad weather. At my TOPS meeting we do light yoga for 10-15 minutes every Wednesday. Once you get a routine down, it really doesn't feel like "exercise" it feels more like a daily habit.

Alexpope
on 5/18/21 9:09 am
RNY on 10/21/20

I have actually bought a apple watch to help track things including my movement so hoping this will help to get me raring to go. I am impressed with your steps per day is this straight walking for miles or is this just your steps throughout the entire day?

Want2beMe
on 5/18/21 9:43 am
VSG on 08/17/20

This is my steps throughout the day. I try to walk for 2 hours a day by splitting it up into half hour increments. I first started out with walking for 1 hour and built up the motivation to go for 2.

catwoman7
on 5/17/21 3:56 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I started with water aerobics and did mostly that for the first year or so (I do a few other things now, like biking)

Alexpope
on 5/18/21 9:11 am
RNY on 10/21/20

It was suggested that I go swimming to help prevent stress on my knees since I have issues already. I don't have access to a pool and our community pool has been closed since after the pandemic started with no reopening in sight. I do hope they will open back up though. Biking would be nice too. Thanks for the suggestion.

hollykim
on 5/18/21 7:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 17, 2021 at 5:41 PM Pacific Time, Alexpope wrote:

I will be 7 months out on the 21st and all I can say is wow. I am down 170 lbs. I still have the girl who does nutrition at my surgeon's office telling me to eat more calories because I am losing too fast. I'm thrilled with my weight loss and have quit going to my monthly meetings because I seem to be the topic at each group of what NOT to do. Whether that is intentional or not I am not sure but I am a bit tired of it. I plan on continuing the way I have been and hope my weight will continue to go down. I am wanting to start incorporating some exercise into my daily routine but I am not an active person meaning I have never been into exercising or doing things like hiking or biking. I would love some input from people who were in the same boat as me and took up activities and what those were.

very smart to disregard the losing too fast crap.
I lost 122 pounds snd have kept it off for 11 years doing *NO * exercise beyond my normal daily activities , so it can be done.

Alexpope
on 5/18/21 9:12 am
RNY on 10/21/20

That is great. I just want to become more active so I can not gain later when I hit maintenance. I hope I can be as successful at 11 yrs as well. Any tips?

NYMom222
on 5/18/21 8:15 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Congratulations! I do not think slower is better at the beginning. You have to take advantage of the first year sweet spot. That being said for some people expanding what they eat does become important - because you want to make sure you are losing fat and not muscle. I think the danger is more when you actually hit goal...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Alexpope
on 5/18/21 9:16 am
RNY on 10/21/20

Very good points. I agree on losing in the first year and this is why I have stayed so focused on my eating and post op food incorporations. I do not drink anything other than water or Zevia. I do not consume any carbs other than vegetables. I use chicken as my main protein yet the nutrition girl says I am not doing it right. Maybe I am wrong and I am not getting enough calories to prevent muscle wasting?

Most Active