Question for those 2+ years post surgery

Round_Tiger
on 5/23/21 6:41 am
VSG on 07/09/19

It's been a while since I've posted here and have a genuine concern. I had the surgery in summer of 2019. I lost a total of 90 lbs. I think my body pretty much reached that state where it hit a flat line plateau and wasn't going to budge one inch. I was ten pounds short of goal. This started last year. I am still eating the same portion sizes as I was while still losing. Still eating the same type of food. I didn't in any way stray off course. The only thing that was lacking was physical activity, but I started getting bored with the gym and/or a treadmill.

I had a coworker and actually my therapist recommend doing CrossFit. So I gave it a try. To say that I hit the jackpot with CrossFit is an understatement! It is SO fulfilling and is everything I was looking for in getting my exercise in for the week. I am officially in the best shape I've ever been in my life!

So here's where I'm stumped. The scale has not moved one ounce. My body is still slimming down (albeit tons slower now than the first year). But my clothes are feeling looser and I can look in the mirror and see the difference. I see a difference even between me now and before CrossFit in pictures. Yet, the scale has not moved. And in fact, it has gone up five pounds.

Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on?! Anybody else have a similar experience? At this point, I don't really care about how much I weigh anymore as much as I care about how I feel/look. I'm anxious about failing at this and gaining all the weight back, so that only adds stress and anxiety to my situation. I use that as a motivational factor as to "never go back". That is my mantra. It just sucks to not get that little shot of feel good that I used to get stepping on the scale and seeing the number get lower every week. Especially since I am working so hard and staying vigilant with my diet.

catwoman7
on 5/23/21 7:05 am
RNY on 06/03/15

that's not uncommon when you add in muscle-strengthening activities. Although a pound is a pound is a pound, a pound of muscle takes up a lot less space than a pound of fat. Also, muscle holds water - so what you're seeing on the scale may be the weight of tha****er. If it gets to be more than about 5 lbs, it could be actual weight gain, but up to 5 lbs, it's probably the fact that you're building muscle.

Having a greater muscle to fat ratio also increases your metabolism, although from what I've read, it's not by as much as some people assume. However, it DOES increase it, so your weight may start gradually drifting down at some point even if you don't change your calorie intake.

I personally wouldn't worry about muscle weight or water weight (and those are causing your fluctuation).

White Dove
on 5/24/21 1:31 pm - Warren, OH

It takes 10 calories a day for a woman to maintain one pound of body weight. The less you weigh, the fewer calories you can take in. To maintain 150 pounds you need 1500 calories. To maintain 200, you need 2000 calories. It is not that much difference. An ice cones, a few cookies, or a Big Mac can be the difference. Track your calories and you will see how many it is taking for you to stay at the same weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jmm4321
on 5/23/21 11:48 am

Exercise is really important to long term success. It's not the weight, it's for your mental health. The only thing I measure for weight trending is my pants size. If I gain but no change to size, I'm good.

Round_Tiger
on 5/23/21 5:45 pm
VSG on 07/09/19

Yeah I know that exercise is a part of the equation. When I got honest with my self assessment of how I got so big and what needed to change, not exercising weekly was definitely a reason. But like I said, I went and got a membership to Anytime and tried to do the 3 times a week thing, but I just got really bored with it! Not to be a commercial for CrossFit, but when I discovered it I realized what exercising and working hard really felt like. The level of accomplishment and fulfillment is off the charts! I tried going back to the gym on my own a few times after starting CrossFit, and it was downright depressing! I'm just excited as all get out about being excited to exercise in general. My clothes have gotten even looser, my body is slimming down even more, and I know I'm losing mass. I hear you in that weight itself doesn't really matter when you look at it that way.

sweetpotato1959
on 5/24/21 11:19 am

Congratulations! You are building muscle, toning and gaining better flexibility...

Muscle is heavier than fat- therefore the weight gain. It also uses more calories to maintain so will enable a continued stable and or reducing weight.

Relax, have fun... the stress will keep you from loosing more weight.. and will add more cortizol to your system making a gain..(. I was under a stressful load, when that was finished, i lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks w/ no diet changes.)

I would vary the crossfit time and intensity for a few of weeks...and observe to see how that affects any loss.heavy workout vs/ medium workout.. and...also look at supplements to help reduce cortizol. Consider doing late night isometrics..for 6-10 min just before sleep.

Most Active