PATCHMD Multivitamin patch now has NO calcium

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/21 3:39 pm, edited 7/6/21 4:16 pm - OH

I have been successfully using the PatchMD multivitamin patches for over 7 years now, having started taking them several years after I had my Roux-en-Y (in 2007). I discovered yesterday that sometime in the last year or so -- I don't know exactly when, as I have not yet received a response from them -- they removed the 1500 mg of calcium citrate (which was 115% of the USRDA) and replaced it with 3mg (yes, THREE measly milligrams, which is less than .25% (yes, less than one-quarter of one percent) of the US RDA)! Why bother?!? (Answer: so they can SAY it has calcium.)

There was no warning to existing customers that they were going to make this major change. The vitamin content on the back of the package is now so small that I had to get a magnifying glass out to read it? I know it sounds melodramatic, but as someone who already has spinal stenosis and some general bone loss, and was one of their early customers, it feels like a betrayal from a company whose original customer base was largely bariatric surgery patients. I fear what my DEXA scan will show after taking no calcium supplements for probably a full year!

Also, be aware that their Vit D3/Calcium patch (included in their "bariatric" bundles) also has a very insignificant amount of calcium. You would still need to take several doses of calcium each day while using both this patch AND the multivitamin patch.

I have cancelled my recurring subscription with them (if I have to take 3-4 doses of calcium per day, I might as well also go back to taking a chewable multi), but I wanted to make sure other people are aware and don't get caught as I did.

If you were unaware of this change, as I was, you might want to contact them and complain. Even if you are a new customer, you might want to complain that they are presenting their "bariatric" bundles as complete supplementation without anything close to the calcium that gastric bypass or DS patients need.

Lora

p.s. I cannot remember how to add a photos, but I do have a picture of the back of the package.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

White Dove
on 7/7/21 4:43 am - Warren, OH

it is so sad that companies do things like this. I super absorbed from their patch and my surgeon put me back on chewables years ago. I hope that there is no damage to you from this and that you are doing well otherwise.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/9/21 5:48 am - OH

Thanks. I, too, hope the next DEXA comes out ok. I am doing well otherwise (and hope you are, too!)

White Dove
on 7/9/21 8:05 am - Warren, OH

Good luck on the DEXA. I am doing well and am glad to hear that you are too.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sweetpotato1959
on 7/8/21 11:01 am

****rogirl, The minerals i have the most problems with are Iodine, copper, Magnesium and zinc. all are needed n balance. the things i have found effective for those are: A MVI that is truly a one a day formula- it has 200+% of copper.It s shaped like a football and smooth so can swallow t easily..., I take sea kelp(small tablet for iodine- can use a topical nascent),Zinc cold eze losenge 2x a week to taste.. if t begins "tasting off"- not like fruit- i remove and save for next dose in 3 days.Magnesium - i use a epsom salts foot bath 1 x a week unless i sweat heavily....following directions on package.. then rinsing feet well and apply moisturizer.

I also take D3, 10K most days...+ Vitamin K2, the research came out on it between 2 and 3 years ago.. there are 8 K vitamins,Not to be confused with K+,(potassium).

K1 is the one that aids clotting, K2 has been proven to be a mineral mover in the body.,In the research they stated that it IS "impossible to get an adequate supply of this vitamin by diet alone" The amount was 30 lbs of broccoli daily...... it moves mineral deposits back into the bones. I began it 2.5 years ago and put hubs on it- who also has dx. osteoporosis from 15+ years ago...His last bone scan, showed improvement./ had been on K2 for about 9 months...I had osteopenia dx more than 15 years ago... I have not had a repeat scan.cost was prohibitive..(1500-2k$)

The rest of K vitamins numbers 3-8) were still under investigation- at last i heard. I have found by taking K2 daily i require less of my supplements to avoids symptoms such as muscle cramps that i can get from both low potassium and magnesium...

Do your research, check out each mineral/Vitamin and the effect of not having sufficient and go from there... I found I was copper deficient when my hair suddenly went almost solid grey, and i had many bursting blood vessels in my hands, severe varicose veins. Note some vitamins, not just these will say they are complete... and they are not.I take a magnifying glass with me when purchasing vitamins now.

Hope this helps....take care stay alert to all changes..

Kim Gyurina, OH Staff
on 7/12/21 7:04 am
DS on 09/27/23

Hello ****rogirl, The PhD Version and everyone who has questions regarding PatchMD,

We wanted you all to know that we have shared this with PatchMD so they can respond, and we are awaiting the information from them so we can make it public for everyone. Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Kim Gyurina, Event Manager

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/12/21 10:38 am - OH

Thanks. I got only a canned response from the chat person who couldn't tell me what the legalistic sounding response actually MEANT, and I sent them a message to which I have received no response. I specifically wanted to know when the change was made (if, indeed, it ever had the 1500mg of calcium indicated) so I know how long to tell my doctor that I haven't been taking ANY calcium... because, based on the packages I purchased last year, it appears to be close to a year...

Lora

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/21 4:21 pm, edited 8/5/21 9:22 am - OH

The company has not responded to either of the two messages I sent them about this issue. If I had to guess why, it is because the patch NEVER had the 1500mg of calcium they originally claimed (good thing I saved an old package, huh?) and they are afraid of saying something that might be used in a lawsuit against them.

I therefore have started posting comments about it on their Facebook page, so we will see if that gets any response from them (other than to delete the comments).

JerseyJim
on 8/30/21 11:01 am - Sayre, PA

What a terrible company. Hopefully they respond to your inquiry.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

Most Active