New Here, I'm a little confused

Fae
on 7/16/21 10:21 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I'm brand new to this forum. Currently don't even know my weight anymore, but my BMI is much too high.

I have a lot of health issues... Hashimoto's, PCOS, MSUD, Psoriasis, etc. and it all has taken such a toll on me.

I'm not sure if any type of surgery would be the right path for me, because I have certain restrictions. Because of one of my health issues, I can only consume 35g of protein per day from food, and the other 30-40g is from a medical supplement devoid of the branched chain amino acids. But that's not really what this post is about.

From everything I have read, these procedures are supposed to more or less stop you from over consumption and that's great, but... what if you don't over-consume? I'm not really a big eater, I've never binged in my life, I don't eat when I'm full, I'm a very slow emptier, etc.

So I'm wondering if a procedure like this would even benefit me, if my issues with weight are not because I'm consuming more than I should.

catwoman7
on 7/17/21 6:00 am
RNY on 06/03/15

sounds like you have some pretty uncommon health issues, so I'm not sure if anyone here will be able to answer that. I would ask a bariatric surgeon. Basically, once you get beyond the first few months (when hunger hormones are suppressed for most of us, and the bypass offers some malabsorption of calories), the surgery "works" mainly by restricting how much you can eat at one sitting. So if you're not over-consuming, I'm not sure this will work for you. But I'd do a consult with a bariatric surgeon - or someone who specializes in your health condition (and not take my word for it!!)

White Dove
on 7/17/21 7:46 am, edited 7/17/21 12:47 am - Warren, OH

You are over consuming if you are overweight. To lose weight, you must eat less calories than you burn. To maintain the loss, you must eat the amount of calories that you burn. My experience in life was that it became impossible for me to reduce my consumption enough to lose the excess weight and keep it off. I thought that I did not over consume. After my surgery, I was amazed by how little food it takes for me to feel full and satisfied.

Most often, surgery is not approved by insurance until your BMI has reached 40. To find that out, you will need to find out how much you weigh. If you are at a high enough BMI for weight loss surgery, then it is almost impossible to lose weight down to a normal BMI and maintain that loss for more than five years.

Your restriction on protein does not sound like it would be any more problem after surgery than before surgery. You need to start by weighing yourself. Then decide if you want to talk with a weight loss surgeon.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 7/17/21 4:12 pm, edited 7/20/21 12:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 16, 2021 at 5:21 PM Pacific Time, Fae wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I'm brand new to this forum. Currently don't even know my weight anymore, but my BMI is much too high.

I have a lot of health issues... Hashimoto's, PCOS, MSUD, Psoriasis, etc. and it all has taken such a toll on me.

I'm not sure if any type of surgery would be the right path for me, because I have certain restrictions. Because of one of my health issues, I can only consume 35g of protein per day from food, and the other 30-40g is from a medical supplement devoid of the branched chain amino acids. But that's not really what this post is about.

From everything I have read, these procedures are supposed to more or less stop you from over consumption and that's great, but... what if you don't over-consume? I'm not really a big eater, I've never binged in my life, I don't eat when I'm full, I'm a very slow emptier, etc.

So I'm wondering if a procedure like this would even benefit me, if my issues with weight are not because I'm consuming more than I should.

being morbidly obese is not only about how much you eat, but also about WHAT you eat.

what does a days menu look like for you? all the surgeries, except lap band, which is a terrible surgery, cause some amount of metabolic changes that allow for weight loss snd weight loss maintenance.

I would also make an appointment with a bariatric surgeon since you have unusual issues. Most of them offer free seminars but you wouldn?t get to discuss your personal issues since it?s a group thing.Good luck!

sweetpotato1959
on 7/21/21 9:44 am

Hollykim, You need to look at Fae's post.

She 's already on a rigidly controlled diet for MSUD.If you don't know what that is ,you do need to do a search before telling someone-anyone- they are eating wrong. This conditions necessitates, for quality of life, the replacement of many proteins with other foods and special amino acid blend.She Can't change WHAT she eats.It's dictated by her many medical conditions.

People who are MO do not need our reactions to be "routine" answers we have all received in times past by our medical providers.

Your advice on seeking assistance and surgery outcomes are like rest, spot on.

WLS was developed to assist people with metabolic issues and is the only long term assistance that is available. Thankfully, the surgeries have changed with innovations in surgery techniques.There are now a wide range of surgical options.

Denise
hollykim
on 7/21/21 8:29 pm, edited 7/21/21 1:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 21, 2021 at 4:44 PM Pacific Time, sweetpotato1959 wrote:

Hollykim, You need to look at Fae's post.

She 's already on a rigidly controlled diet for MSUD.If you don't know what that is ,you do need to do a search before telling someone-anyone- they are eating wrong. This conditions necessitates, for quality of life, the replacement of many proteins with other foods and special amino acid blend.She Can't change WHAT she eats.It's dictated by her many medical conditions.

People who are MO do not need our reactions to be "routine" answers we have all received in times past by our medical providers.

Your advice on seeking assistance and surgery outcomes are like rest, spot on.

WLS was developed to assist people with metabolic issues and is the only long term assistance that is available. Thankfully, the surgeries have changed with innovations in surgery techniques.There are now a wide range of surgical options.

I believe you need to look a T my post. I didn't say she was eating wrong. I simply asked what a days menu was like for her. No matter how rigidly her fort is controlled, it may be foods that promote weight gain. If that?s is so, it is a consideration even if she can?t change it.

there is always the possibility of eating off that rigid plan, which as we all know, happens.

sweetpotato1959
on 7/19/21 11:38 pm

Fae, sounds like you have more questions that need to be answered by a health professional . a Obesity surgeon would be a good place to get those answers. He/she would be able to look at your health, history and other conditions and match you to the best procedure for you..You must know here is a procedure that will give you the control and assistance you seek.. It begins with you.

Generally WLS gives the individual a measure of control, they have never experienced before.

PcoS is controlled by the same mechanism that controls blood sugar. just controls hormones released in ovaries as well as pancreas. surgery put my PCOS on hold for several years.. Some forms of WLS change not only your consumption, but all intake patterns and metabolism.. .Most people who are morbidly obese and are not binge eaters have a deep metabolism issue.(They can do an assessment of metabolism by having a complete diet and activity log recorded and .assessed by a nutritionist.).. was the case with my Mom, who also had the Memphis Gastric Bypass as done by Dr George Cowan in the mid 90's.It was essentially a RNY w/ bowel resections and removal of large portion of large intestine.. it was effective, is no longer done.he also removed gall bladder and appendix while doing the open abdominal surgery...

. We were both part of an Obesity study in conjunction with the Obesity Wellness center in Memphis and the university of Tn. In the research they showed the correlation of certain genetics predisposing obesity..the genetic link is in the control of metabolism and insulin/hormonal releases. I now use Bitter melon for control of sugars and hormonal releases. from the multiple cysts.It took me about 21 month to get to goal. i dropped heavily for first 6 months.. 20 lb in 2 wks....50 or so in 6 weeks. been a long time and i still am very close to original goal.. i 10 lbs variance..

take care of yourself.. hang in there... keep looking for those answers.

White Dove
on 7/20/21 5:25 am - Warren, OH

What do you mean by multiple cysts?

sweetpotato1959
on 7/20/21 7:46 pm, edited 7/20/21 12:46 pm

White Dove,

In Polycystic ovarian syndromes/disease, it is in the name. This is the information passed on to me by my physicians.

, Poly=many- cysts=abnormal growths on the ovary in this case.

Mine have been biopsied 2x. Once when i had Gastric by pass and once during my partial hysterectomy. Generally PCOS does not become cancerous, but some become quite large, many of those release the male hormones, causing excessive hair growth, very rapid weight gain,( usually girls balloon at puberty, literally blow up like a balloon, thinking with their monthly is jus****er weight. and it never goes away) when the hormones go back to cyclic.

In my case MY Obesity Physician left enough of my ovaries to be fully functional and removed many cysts,We chose not to have another child once i was healthy. .when my hysterectomy was done the GYN made the call to leave small portions of ovaries, only enough to give me hormones. with my medical history any hormones are extremely unwise-(another different medical condition). The cysts are re-absorbed by the body at menopause.

Denise
White Dove
on 7/21/21 7:00 am - Warren, OH

Thanks, I had seen PCOS referred to but never knew what it was. Would removing the ovaries improve quality of life? Mine were removed when I was 43 due to fibroids. My doctor said that the ovaries were not affected, but he had had so many cases of ovarian cancer in his patients, that he advised me to remove them. That caused its own set of problems.