Need help. Have Lapband, considering sleeve or DS

Jmm4321
on 9/6/21 12:31 am

I was like you with a less than 40 bmi prior to wls. I had the Sadi DS in 2014 and lost every once of fat in my body (every single f'in once). Luckily I gained 30lbs or so back which I badly needed.

Just my 2 cents .... The Sadi DS includes a common channel between 300 to 400 cm vs. 50 to 150 cm with a traditional Hess DS. The Sadi is offered because you generally lose a similar amount of weight to the Hess DS but have less malabsorption and lower surgical risk. It was considered "newer" when I had it done but it's now been around for about 13 years with excellent results if you go to an experienced WLS surgeon. Experience means the surgeon has performed ALL wls procedures many times over a number of years.

The longer common channel does not imply less malabsorption although many people incorrectly believe that it does. At some point laws of diminishing returns kick in on the common channel and the smaller it gets, the possibility of poor results apply.

Any procedure that makes you happy and gets the results you want is the right procedure. You and your surgeon (whom you'll almost never talk to after wls) can decide. In other words, you are the only one that really matters in the decision. Just get good advice and do a lot of research.

sporty333
on 9/6/21 3:58 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm having lapband removed soon, and then if I decide...ds. Just still processing info.

sporty333
on 7/17/22 8:08 am

I updated my journey on my other post...but I will add it here too. I had the Lapband removed in March 2022. It went well and there was no damage from it being there so long. I guess because it was unfilled for many years. I am scheduled for DS surgery this September. It will be a real DS with two connections, but I will be getting a common channel of 200cm. I am confident after all of my research I've done on on various sites, Facebook groups, YouTube, andDr discussions, that a modified DS is the right thing for my situation.

In the early DS days cc were 50cm and since then the normal DS have trended longer because of issues, with traditional DS now being 100-150cm. I am not concerned about weight regain...I'd like to lose 80 lbs..... its lifestyle issues, and how will my body may react to possible illness as I get elderly.

I've lost weight with restriction alone in the past, but did regain because of issues with the band, so the longer cc makes sense for me....I think its enough to keep it off, but it may not for other people... starting bmi 37.

All I can say is do your research, talk with your doctor, and be willing to listen to other peoples stories, good and bad, and make the best choice for yourself. I'm grateful for all of the responses and opinions that everyone has left.

sporty333
on 6/29/22 5:36 am
Most Active