How do you know if its diaherrea or dumping?

Want2beMe
on 8/31/21 3:52 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I know dumping can lead to diaherrea, but how do you know the difference between both? And why would I have diaherrea every Wednesday morning? I don't eat for 1-2hours after getting up and I don't eat past 7pm the night before. It's strange, can anxiety cause diaherrea or am I dumping? I'm a little confused.

Partlypollyanna
on 8/31/21 5:26 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Dumping usually happens very fast. If you're saying it's in the morning and you haven't eaten since the night before, it's probably not dumping. I think I read about delayed dumping but a think that's few hours not overnight. What does your doctor say?

Good luck finding the cause and be sure to stay hydrated!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 8/31/21 5:41 pm - Warren, OH

Dumping with RNY patients is not diarrhea. It is a rapid heartbeat, dizziness, shaking, loss of concentration, fainting, sweating or passing out.

It can by followed by diarrhea. That happens to me if I get dumping from ice cream or other high fat along with sugar.

Diarrhea caused by anxiety is a thing. Your brain might tell you that it is going to happen and then it does.

It is fine to treat the diarrhea with Imodium. The dumping you just have to wait out. I sit or lie down for about 15 minutes and it goes away.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 8/31/21 6:13 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 31, 2021 at 10:52 PM Pacific Time, Want2beMe wrote:

I know dumping can lead to diaherrea, but how do you know the difference between both? And why would I have diaherrea every Wednesday morning? I don't eat for 1-2hours after getting up and I don't eat past 7pm the night before. It's strange, can anxiety cause diaherrea or am I dumping? I'm a little confused.

if it happens every Wednesday morning, then I would say it is emotional. What happens on Wednesday's that makes you anxious?

Want2beMe
on 9/1/21 4:58 am
VSG on 08/17/20

Thanks for all the replies. So my anxiety I have on Wednesdays is due to my support group TOPS, I feel so nervous stepping on the scale. My doctor doesn't know yet because it only started happening about a month ago. Right around the time I stopped losing pounds each week. I'm no where near my goal weight and I've been putting stress on myself. I will talk to my doctor today after my TOPS meeting this morning. Hope everyone has a good day.

White Dove
on 9/1/21 9:48 am - Warren, OH

Most weight loss patients are pretty much done losing weight after one year. You can continue to lose, but the secret is that you are at a lower weight, so it takes less calories to maintain that new weight and even less to continue losing.

You need approximately 10 calories a day to maintain one pound of body weight. For example, if you weight 150 pounds, you need to eat 1500 calories or you will lose weight.

If you cut by 500 calories a day, you will have eliminated 3,500 calories by the end of one week. 3500 calories equal one pound. If you average 2000 calories a day, you will gain one pound. If you are staying the same, then you are eating about 10 calories each day for each pound that you are maintaining. Use My Fitness Pal and track every bite you eat and every ounce you drink.

You can lose more if you make up your mind to count calories. We have members who lost another 100 pounds in their second year. If you can cut 500 calories a day, that will be 50 pounds in a year.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Want2beMe
on 9/1/21 4:01 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Thanks, I just downloaded my fitness pal and wow there's so much information. I like this tracking better then paper.

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/21 5:57 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I dump on sugar (basically I writhe on the floor wishing I was dead till it's over ) and I still get diarrhea from "normal " fat level foods which means I still malabsorb .... nine years after my RNY

I agree with you that it's probably emotional... especially because you're nervous about getting weighed .

I personally don't even keep a scale in my home ... when I get on one in say the grocery store I always weigh more than I can imagine .... probably because muscle weighs three times more than fat of the same volume.

But my body looks great ...I wear a swimsuit or bikini without a second thought or self consciousness . I still have a little extra skin on my tummy but I can choose to do sit ups ( an ablounger is GREAT and painless way to do them ) and I hope soon to get some plastic surgery and take those pesky fat cells away permanently lol! Now there are less invasive ways to tighten the skin -I've seen the results and boy do they work !

So hang in there ! It's great that you're in a support group and just posting your calorie intake and exercise on your appropriate surgery board really helps a lot of people here - both to stay healthy and to stay slim ! Hugs

Most Active