Just had vsg done and I regret it

Moniqueavila1
on 9/20/21 11:23 pm

Hello my name is Monique and I had vsg done on sept 10th at Kaiser in CA . It was a great experience starting with the options program (diet classes) . I learned a lot about food and managing calories etc. I weighed 340 after on feb and starting a new way of eating in July after I finished the classes and I lost a total of 24 lbs . Day of surgery I was so proud of myself for losing more weight and I seriously thought to myself if I should continue with the surgery . I found myself thinking about food and what if I feel worse after surgery etc . I went ahead and proceeded and was by myself , when I woke up I really had regretted it I was in so much pain from the gas , I couldn't stay awake , I was nauseous . Now I am 11 days post op and I regret it so much I have trouble with drinking fluids , I'm scared to drink broth or shakes snd I'm dealing with constipation . I have two small boys who I cook for everyday and it's so hard not able to eat with them as a family . I feel like I'm not getting my protein in and I am making my hydration goal every other day. I find it so difficult and wonder alot of how I could of just made better choices in food and worked out more . I have dropped 19 lbs so far , my family sees a difference but I don't . It's just really hard especially not having someone to be with you every step of the way . What do you guys think ?

catwoman7
on 9/22/21 5:18 am
RNY on 06/03/15

"buyer's remorse" is common the first month or so after surgery. So many changes - so many rules - so many restrictions. But - it all passes. Things get easier, you start seeing the weight loss, food restrictions lighten up. But constipation - chronic constipation is a very common issue. A lot of us take a capful of Miralax every morning to keep on top of it. Others take stool softeners, magnesium tablets, or eat a few prunes every day. Or Smooth Move tea. Just find something that works for you and keep on top of it.

only about 5% of people can lose a bunch of weight and keep it off. I was not one of those 5%, even though I tried and tried and tried for decades. I also started out at over 300 lbs. On my own, I'd lose at most 50-60 lbs (and those were my more successful attempts - I'd usually lose more like 10 or 20). It was only a matter of time before it all piled back on. Since I had over 200 lbs to lose, I finally came to the conclusion that there was no way this was going to happen, if I couldn't even keep 50 lbs off.

Surgery has been the only thing that has worked for me. My efforts actually paid off. I lost over 200 lbs. So hang in there..

TheWombat
on 9/22/21 6:05 am, edited 9/22/21 9:39 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Hi Monique. Temporary "buyer's remorse" is *extremely* common. From here on, everything should start getting easier. You're exhausted now, but you will begin to get your strength back. Drinking is difficult now, but will become easier and second-nature, which should resolve the constipation as well. Figuring out what foods your stomach will tolerate is difficult now, but you will learn, and over time you will be able to enjoy a greater variety of food. Also, you will build a repertoire of healthy dishes you enjoy.

You have gone through the worst of it; things will get much, much better over the next few weeks. You'll find loads of help and support on this forum.

As for wondering if you could have "just made better choices in food and worked out more", well, the scientific research shows that it's extremely unlikely once you are significantly overweight. When you try to lose weight, your body fights against it*. For example, almost all the people on those "biggest loser" shows end up gaining all of the weight back. I have learned to lose weight, I need to stay under 900 calories. That simply would not be practical without the help of VSG. (Now that I'm at goal, I can eat more, fortunately.)

Also, temporary depression is very common after surgery or major illness. You may be experiencing some of that. That should pass in a few days.

*Fortunately, WLS turns that mechanism off for 6-9 months. During that time, your body will actually co-operate with you as you try to lose weight. Take advantage of that time to reach your goal.

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/21 6:11 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I think you're doing GREAT especially taking care of two tiny ones ( I have two little toddlers of my own and boy are they needy and a total full time job )

but we signed up for this and we're lucky and appreciated by the kidz .... as far as food and liquid diet goes .... do your best and know we understand and are here for you and your family.... always

Moniqueavila1
on 9/22/21 6:30 am

Aww thank you so much , I found this forum for support snd give support to other . Yes I am a single mom and trust me it could be very challenging but I am happy I get to spend time with them during this time of healing . I am truly great full to been able to just pay $200 for this surgery as well . I know it's just temporary.

White Dove
on 9/22/21 10:33 am - Warren, OH

Most of the people who need weight loss surgery to have a healthy life are not able to get it. Many insurance plans in the US do not cover it. Many people are too afraid to get the surgery. They are told to just eat better and do more exercise and that only works for 3% to 5% of people.

You have gotten through the worst of the surgery. I was lucky enough to have no pain and was sent home with stool softeners. Miralax was not recommended by my surgical center in 2007 but is now.

You have been given a chance to be so much healthier and happier. Someday you will look back on these first days and wish you once again had no appetite and could not eat much. Your body will heal and you will be able to eat and drink anything you want. Just take it day by day and watch how much better you will look and feel.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/21 10:40 am
RNY on 01/01/14

Congratulations thats all you had 2 pay !

You're gonna do FINE.... This is what happens ... At your surgery they pump you full of fluids so you can't believe how much you weigh ... Then the walking and the milkshakes and little bit of real food just really hit home .

You can expect no comfort for at least eight weeks ... You went through MAJOR surgery .. This is not something relatively lightweight ( like liposuction)- no this is the really serious stuff where U need serious recovery time .... And you deserve it !!! Take great care of Urself and the Lil ones

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/21 10:51 am
RNY on 01/01/14

One suggestion - don't try 2 work - try to stick 2 the prescribed diet as much as U can and walk ALL the time .... I did it literally every half hour .... But it worked!

I breathed much better and truly appreciated the kind friends and ever loving pets that helped m .

White Dove
on 9/22/21 12:18 pm - Warren, OH

Everyone heals differently. I had no pain after surgery. My surgery was on a Tuesday, I went home on Thursday, rested a few day, but did light housework and cooking on the weekend. On Monday I went back to work at an office job.

I was tired in the evenings, but felt stronger and more energy every day.

On Sunday, my sister-in-law stopped to see me. She could not believe that I was up and doing things. She had been debating surgery for years. She called my surgeon the next day and scheduled her RNY. She did very well with hers.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Want2beMe
on 9/22/21 1:24 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I think it's still early after surgery and it does get better with time. I was also alone throughout the whole process and surgery. I found the best support was here and talking with my doctor/dieticians. After about 3-4 months I fell into old eating patterns and just posted below you about my Failure. My dietician has been reaching out to me to stay on track and journal everything from food to mood. Getting in your fluid is crucial and as difficult as it seems try to pre-plan when you drink it and Routine will help. It does take time getting used to the taste of things like broth. I tried broth and found it to be way to salty, but I just added water to dilute it. Your doing great losing pounds and I wish you well.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1352 views