Desperately need to vent and advice!

hollykim
on 10/21/21 9:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 20, 2021 at 7:08 PM Pacific Time, AlyssaBiddle wrote:

Hello!

I had Gastric Bypass Surgery on September 22nd and I am absolutely miserable! I'm regretting this tremendously! Everything I eat gets stuck and I imagine it's from not chewing well enough and/or eating too fast. But it's not just when I eat solid foods, it also happened once when I drank water, then another time was when I was eating tuna solid.. I literally throw up like 2-3 times a day.

I'm dreading Thanksgiving because we're hosting this year and making all this yummy food and I'm barely going to be able to eat. And it's not the small portions that bothers me, it's the food getting stuck in my esophagus that really annoys me.

My mental health is not doing too good. I've suffered with depression before this and thought that this would help because who doesn't want to be thin and better looking? But now I'm starting to find that I was happier eating what I want, when I wanted. I'm just not the same. I don't want to do anything anymore, nor have the energy to do so. I cry almost every single day. Sad thing is, I could've did this without the surgery. I lost over 50 pounds on my own in 6 months before I got the surgery. I got the surgery to speed things along, I suppose. I'm just truly regretting this.

Please tell me this gets better? Please tell me my body will eventually be back to normal?

you could have a stricture, which is scar tissue growing across your surgery site and maki g good / liquids not go through.
check in with your surgeon to be sure.

AlyssaBiddle
on 10/21/21 10:08 am

Okay, thank you.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/21 7:56 am
RNY on 01/01/14

Feeling any better Honey ? Hugs

AlyssaBiddle
on 10/25/21 2:54 pm

Unfortunately, no.

I haven't ate anything in 4 days. The last I ate was applesauce, which was last Thursday, I didn't even eat a teaspoon and I throw the little tiny bit I did eat up. Drinking water makes me feel nauseous as well. I was at the doctor today and they almost sent me to the ER for dehydration. They want me to contact my surgeon first thing tomorrow to schedule something for an endoscopy, so that's the next step.

Thank you! ?

White Dove
on 10/25/21 4:19 pm - Warren, OH

Actually an IV for dehydration will probably help you to feel a bit better. This does sound like a stricture, so the endoscopy will tell. The surgeon can open up the stricture, if these is one, when he does the endo.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AlyssaBiddle
on 10/25/21 4:30 pm

I ended up not going to the Emergency Room, just the doctors. They said that if I start getting dizzy when I stand up, etc. to go straight to the ER.

I believe it is a stricture, I'll be calling my surgeon first thing in the morning. My Family doctor couldn't order then endoscopy because she wasn't the one who did my surgery.

White Dove
on 10/25/21 4:59 pm - Warren, OH

Some people develop strictures. It is just the way their body heals. Some people have it happen two or three times before it is healed up. Stretching them out again is a simple procedure that your surgeon can do quickly. Just be on the lookout and get help right away if it happens again. Hope you feel much better soon.

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/21 8:44 am
RNY on 01/01/14

This is NOT ok !

AlyssaBiddle
on 10/26/21 8:55 am

Just spoke with my surgeons office, she said that it doesn't sound like a Stricture because I'm able to keep some fluids down.. She wants me to eat some yogurt, wait and then drink and then to call her back to see how I did with it. She also said that not taking my protonix could be a big reason why I feel nauseous all the time. Which I haven't been taking my protonix because swallowing pills has me throwing up and very sick hours after I've taken them.

I still just feel like things getting stuck in my throat the way it has been isn't normal. Like something must be wrong. I don't know.

White Dove
on 10/26/21 9:29 am - Warren, OH

Pills often feel stuck to me. I take mine with a small amount of applesauce. It works much better for me than water. Yogurt sounds like a good plan to test with. Let us know how it goes.

Most Active