Moderation VS. Strict Diet

AlyssaBiddle
on 10/26/21 5:22 pm

How many of you eat what you want just with moderation and portion control?

And then how many of you are on a strict diet?

Partlypollyanna
on 10/26/21 5:56 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I'm not sure there's a difference.

Moderation and portion control is one method of diet and I try to be strict on those things (varying degrees of success!) and also that I meet the daily protein and fluid requirements I need (much better success).

Early on, someone here shared that they can eat anything they want, they just have to be prepared for the consequences. I like that mind set. I am not always successful at that either but when I ask myself that, I'm at least being purposeful.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 10/26/21 6:16 pm - Warren, OH

Because I can eat anything I want does not mean that I should eat anything I want. I was very strict the first three years after surgery. No bread, wheat products, sugar, corn, cereals, pastas, noodles, potatoes, or any form of sugar. I believe that foundation has helped me to be successful for the next 11 years. My belief is to be as strict as possible until you lose all of the excess weight as well as ten, twenty, or even thirty additional pounds to allow for bounceback regain.

The first years after surgery are a once in a lifetime opportunity. After that it is hard to lose weight again. Hunger comes back and the ability to be full on a few bites goes away. Take advantage of this magic period. It is truly a one time opportunity.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jmm4321
on 10/26/21 9:30 pm

I can eat an elephant made of sugar every day and not gain weight. As White Dove mentioned, just cause you can does not mean you should.

I try to be responsible with the basic nutrition but still eat way too much fat and sugar every single day. Consequences for me include trips to the bathroom, gas and bloating if I over indulge too much. To my credit, I do follow the vitamin regime and get steady exercise. To my discredit, I still have many bad habits from the past.

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/21 5:53 am, edited 10/27/21 12:27 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I don?t diet EVER.

But I choose to eat a really lowfat and mostly sugar free regime ... pretty much every dairy and egg food and even salad dressings and mayonnaise are fat free ...

Even if I really crave candy I?ll take a tiny nibble but no more ( I do dump and will never forget the feeling) .

Sugar wise lowfat ice cream is my occasional downfall... mostly because my parents too eat and offer it after dinner watching tv.

I try not to eat ? real ? cheese ( fat free types are fine and I eat them every single day ) ... ? real ? ice cream or gelato ( again skinny cow ice cream sandwiches and outback pops are fine in small amounts )

there are sugar free ice pops also available.... I like the alcoholic ones of course... margarita, manhattans, cosmopolitans ... all sugar free slightly buzzy and adult fun About 75 sugar free calories each too .

... basically you gotta read the labels .

Pretty much you can buy anything in a fat free version ( except maybe greasy snack foods .. but homemade kettle popped popcorn with freeze dried fat free butter is a pretty satisfying salty alternative ) . I often mix a bunch of it ( like a huge pot ) with a lite microwaveable package of popcorn .. tastes great .Keeps me full ( stuffed and snacking mindlessly ) all nite .

Once in a while I need that ... just relaxing stuffing my face .

But I Don't need to wear the evidence... therefore choosing the lowfat options.

These are your choices... limit very strictly the nuts and fats ... and you can eat whatever whenever... especially if you try to move every day too .

Personally I love tasting and experimenting with cooking international foods ..

I enjoy my daily glass or two of red wine.

And I REALLY like waking up in the morning looking skinny and hot and feeling healthy.

lmfontana4
on 10/28/21 12:07 pm
RNY on 03/24/21

I eat with portion control and moderation, while taking calories into consideration. My main concern is ensuring that I get adequate protein. I don't feel restricted. Once weekly I allow myself a more relaxed attitude about my calories but do not go overboard.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

sweetpotato1959
on 11/3/21 3:42 pm

Yes, both. Multiple health issues led me to gastric by pass., and multi pronged approach to diet....basic diet is.high protein, lower carbs( target under 50grams- always.When i break bcarb limits blood sugar goes wacky with multiple rises to 120 followed by drops to 45..Is my normal. Seems odd to others, including my hubs. When something makes you sick enough enough times, it does reduce the draw of those foods.

Before surgery i was on meat only,w/ string beans and 1/2 serv.of bread... so my diet lmitations are different now but i have more variety..MY limitations are NOT from my surgery but because of blood sugar. I have found one herbal highly effective for me..

...fats for saiety as tolerated-coconut,sunflower, olive and real butter-depends on recipe..) but lower amt.don't eat fried foods...

Many intolerances, surgery can affect each individual differently....can eat no artificial sweetners- gastric consequences..drink filtered water and home made ice.NO COL"S, No alcohol-( like mainlining it.) rarely hot tea, coffee every am with lactose free milk, no cheese/milk otherwise, do not use dressings or premade sauces, very low tolerance for legumes.-can use black beans., and smaller amt of red beans-sweet peas.-.. no ketchup and tiny amts BBQ sauce, mayo, 1/2 tsp limit. 2oz cooked fruit is limit./blood sugar issue....(have been prediabetic 40+ years. (dx@ 21/...2 hr post paradial was 19,w/no visible s/sx..skin warm and dry, ... pouch capacity

Denise
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/4/21 1:14 pm

If I could do moderation - I would need a WLS. Unfortunately I learned that I can't do moderation when it comes to some foods. Sugar. carbs, starches, including fruits- the more I eat them, the more I want them. Plus when I'm not restricting carbs, I get hungry more, more often and somehow they make my pouch less sensitive to food. I can eat more volume when I eat carbs.

another thing: alcohol. I never had issues with moderating alcohol before WLS. I could sip 1 glass of wine during an evening, and sometimes not even fini**** And I often did not care if I had a drink or not. Now, post op RNY my body processes alcohol differently, I get tipsy-drunk very fast, it wears off even faster and I want more. I have a problem controlling how much I drink when I start drinking. A while back I decided that it's easier and better for me and my liver not to have any alcohol. I NEVER thought I would have that issue. Please be careful with alcohol.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/21 5:38 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

Your post about alcohol is interesting.

I'm the LAST person and the " bad grrl " on this site to criticize anyone especially myself.

I'm just NOT a Midwestern grrl ... I grew up in Manhattan on my own on tough streets in interesting times ... I totally relate to Vinyl for instance ... the thing is I've been very very honest with you .... and sometimes I think you can't handle it .

It's not necessarily that I have a better life than you ... it has totally so much pressure you have no idea .

And being sick right now like ALL the time sucks so bad and really scares me .

I actually hardly drink but it really does affect me a lot and I'd prefer to get more calories from food . It's not like I'm flopping around in public being a drunk .... not at all .

I like my glass of wine with dinner and I actually think it's healthy.

I'm not so sure about day drinking and shots in my morning coffee ... but again I'm relentlessly honest because what's the point of not being that ?

to be honest Covid has changed a lot for me . I was bored , lonely....