How can I not be afraid to have excess skin after weight loss surgery? I used to weigh over 700...

MetalHeadCHICK
on 1/11/22 11:43 am

I used to weigh over 700 lbs, And I have question, How can I not be afraid to have excess skin after weight loss surgery?

Partlypollyanna
on 1/11/22 1:01 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I don't think you can control what you are afraid of unless you go through therapy.

I think many of us have excess skin; many have had plastic surgery to resolve it but many just live with it.

everything is a trade off -- my fat kept me from having wrinkles and droopy skin but would have shortened my life; now I have more wrinkles and dragon wings on my arms but I have much better health.

Trade off works for me!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/22 1:34 pm
RNY on 09/01/12

Much of it can be reduced or even eliminated with skin surgery and targeted liposuction after the fat cells have emptied out through diet n exercise .

I use a couple of things that help - one is 2% Salicylic acid acne body n face wash available cheaply in any drugstore. ( Neutrogena makes it but most stores carry identical generic versions on the same shelf)

Scrubbing my skin with this in the shower and using it to wash my face turns over the skin slightly faster than it normally would . Since we actually sport seven layers of skin getting the topmost dead one off efficiently lets a natural tightening happen as you lose .

Try it I think you'll like the results ( and the grapefruit scent smells good! )

For double chin and sagging neck and lower face issues there's a device they sell on home shopping that's a facial exerciser .... You put it between your chest and under chin area and the spring inside provides resistance that very quickly tightens your neck and jowl area . It costs about forty bux with shipping... very much worth it .

There are also other facial exercises you can look up on you tube they look weird but work as well . I often do them at traffic lights ! ( people probably think I'm seriously strange lol

catwoman7
on 1/12/22 4:50 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I had mine surgically removed, but honestly, I would have taken the excess skin any day of the week over being super morbidly obese again. Plus, it was easy to hide in clothes. I'm the only one who knew it was there (well, other than my husband and my doctor!)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Alexpope
on 1/12/22 5:41 am
RNY on 10/21/20

It is very normal to worry about this but don't let it sabotage your success. I am only 1-3 men in my support group and we hear about this a lot from women at the meetings. They said they can find garmets that will help with the excess skin but you may still need some removal and from what I have seen if you have enough excess skin to cause pain you can get it covered for removal.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1108 views