Going to obesity help conference alone?

JackieLove
on 2/2/22 5:56 am

I would like to go to the obesity help conference but if I am able to I would be going alone. I don't know what to expect or anything or if it would be too awkward going by myself?

Alexpope
on 2/2/22 6:01 am
RNY on 10/21/20

you are the second person to mention a conference. Where is this when? Has anyone from here gone before I would like to know more.

JackieLove
on 2/2/22 6:09 am

There is an article posted about it on the main obesity help page.

Batwingsman
on 2/7/22 3:21 am - Garland, TX

I just checked it out and am NOT happy .. It was originally scheduled to be in Houston, which was happy news for many of us, esp. here in TX, and we have been waiting patiently for it to be re-scheduled twice due to the Covid thing .. and now it's suddenly going to be in CALIFORNIA instead (as have been the last several conferences before now ) ??? WHO made that decision and why was it not submitted to the members for their comments/feedback first?

What a disappointment .. looks like I won't be attending this one ..

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Partlypollyanna
on 2/2/22 8:36 am
RNY on 02/14/18

There are a number of people on the RNY daily thread that are planning on going. Come chat there and then while you might be traveling alone, you'll have people to meet up with!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Alexpope
on 2/3/22 3:45 am
RNY on 10/21/20

wow I had no idea that there was a conference that took place each year this is so awesome. I am going to definitely start coming to that forum so maybe I can connect with some people that are going. Thanks for the info pollyanna.

Tidgel
on 2/3/22 3:11 pm
RNY on 04/15/19

I will be going alone also and I am just going to put myself out there and try to meet to new people and learn new things!

Batwingsman
on 2/7/22 3:11 am, edited 2/6/22 7:12 pm - Garland, TX

Not at all .. the two I have been to before (one in Houston, one in San Antonio) -- I went alone and had a blast (despite driving through rush-hour Friday afternoon Houston traffic to attend that one ). Major tip is you want to get there in time to be able to attend the "welcoming party" .. You'll find a lot of familiar OH faces at same, and they are all so positive and glad you were able to come. It's a smaller group environment there, but yet you don't feel self-conscious if you are alone. It will give you a chance to meet other members who you don't know, as well. I think I got to meet OH's national spokesperson there and her husband, as well (she was the drummer in Selena's band in the original biog. movie ). IIRC, this is on the day/evening before the actual meetings begin. You are all set them to decide which meetings you want to attend on the following two days. In between meetings, you are free to either return to your hotel room or to hang out with other members for the meal breaks, to check out the exhibitors'/vendors' stands and see what they have for sale in the way of WLS products, visit the "clothing exchange" etc. If there's enough time (such as after the conclusion of the day's meetings), some members will even get together on their own for a walking tour (or even a drive tour) of parts of the nearby city. Bottom line is your are free to be as sociable (or solitary) as you choose to be during the event.

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

**willow**
on 2/10/22 6:23 pm - Lake In The Hills, IL

My name is Valerie and I had surgery in 2002. I've attended so many conferences over the years. Met so many people. I've always gone alone, but never alone for long! I've made many connections and lifelong friends and if you see me say hi and then you are no longer alone. It's a great experience, opportunity to rejuvenate your enthusiasm and celebrate your successes. Please do come to the conference. ð?¤--

10+ years post op and still maintaining!!! surgery  9/25/2002 260/134
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatric_journey/welcome/                                                 if you send a friend request on FB make a note that you are from OH - thanks           http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=586438255&ref=profile  

also www.facebook.com/valshealthykitchen        

Bike Riding   

Batwingsman
on 2/10/22 8:39 pm - Garland, TX

That just made me think of something .. do they give us (big) nametags to wear at the conventions? I can't really remember. If not, they definitely should .. Else how are we supposed to recognize each other (if new) .. ?

Most Active