Three weeks post of Roux en Y and having issues

Szietsma
on 4/11/22 10:49 am
RNY on 03/25/22

Hi everyone,

Not to sure if anyone still uses this blog but thought I would ask. I'm three weeks post op and having issues. I've been in and out of the hospital with nausea and weakness. My team can't find a reason why this is happening. I'm just at a loss. I'm having a hard time with my protein intake and even water makes me feel queasy. Just wondering if it will get better or I should as my surgeon about my options?

Thank you

Tidgel
on 4/11/22 12:51 pm
RNY on 04/15/19

It will get better but you should let your weight loss surgeon know everything that you are going through!

Szietsma
on 4/11/22 12:55 pm
RNY on 03/25/22

Thank you! I did let them know and I'm talking to my surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully some ideas on what I can do.

hollykim
on 4/11/22 10:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 11, 2022 at 5:49 PM Pacific Time, Szietsma wrote:

Hi everyone,

Not to sure if anyone still uses this blog but thought I would ask. I'm three weeks post op and having issues. I've been in and out of the hospital with nausea and weakness. My team can't find a reason why this is happening. I'm just at a loss. I'm having a hard time with my protein intake and even water makes me feel queasy. Just wondering if it will get better or I should as my surgeon about my options?

Thank you

dehydration causes nausea snd being nauseated keeps you from drinking. It becomes a vicious cycle.

you probable need some iv fluids st the hospital. I would ask my surgeon to order that for me. One you are well hydrated you can probably stay well hydrated on your own.

Szietsma
on 4/12/22 4:29 am
RNY on 03/25/22

Yes, I agree. I did go into emergency for IV fluids but ran into the same problem coming home. I have a call with my surgeon today. Hopefully with next steps.

Partlypollyanna
on 4/12/22 3:59 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Dehydration and a stricture seem to be common culprits that early on. Some people may try to progress to the next stage in their menu plan and have issues too. Definitely don't wait for it to get better but talk to your medical team and be open/honest with what's going on.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Szietsma
on 4/12/22 4:30 am
RNY on 03/25/22

Thank you! I will make sure to tell them. This is rough to deal with.

Alexpope
on 4/18/22 6:54 am
RNY on 10/21/20

Nausea and weakness are both factors in dehydration as others have pointed out. You have to constantly sip on water or some liquid to keep yourself hydrated and I know that can be hard when you are only a few weeks out. I struggled with feeling queasy after drinking water and I found out that the cold water was the culprit. My nutrition girl told me to drink room temp water and see if that helped. It did - I now only want ICE COLD water and I do not have any issues with nausea so it did get better. Since you are having nausea it could be another reason why you can't get your protein in. I really do hope you can get some resolution to the problem but it does get better and this surgery is so worth it.

Most Active