First day here

Butterfly4579
on 4/16/22 2:39 pm - Pawtucket, RI
Alexpope
on 4/18/22 6:46 am
RNY on 10/21/20

Hi and welcome You have come to the right place to get advice and learn more from people who have had surgery. I also found out a few months ago that obesityhelp holds a national conference and there are several people from these boards going. I am planning on going because it is just another tool to help me stay on the right road. I had surgery in Oct 2020 and I have not regretted it one bit. I am happy to answer any questions you may have. I am about 50 lbs from my goal and my life has been so much more rewarding now that I am able to do more with my family.

Butterfly4579
on 4/22/22 5:35 pm - Pawtucket, RI

Thank you so much for your reply. I do have a question: If you are not a healthy eater going in and fact is this is all new for you does it jeopardize your surgery. I'm afraid I won't be taken seriously once they find out my typical diet is and I AM going to commit to their routines. I have always loved food though and am nervous

Partlypollyanna
on 4/23/22 3:26 am
RNY on 02/14/18

If you are prepared to make the changes and demonstrate that during your pre op requirements, it shouldn't be an issue. if you can't make changes, refuse to make changes, it could be. In my program, during the "behavioral" pre-op requirements, I had to make 3 changes per 2 week period, then sustain them and make 3 more, so on and so on. Some were harder than others. Many programs /insurance also have a pre-op weight loss target to show that you can do it and to shrink your liver before the surgery. Whatever the requirements are, it's really important to meet them to a T.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Butterfly4579
on 4/23/22 10:35 am - Pawtucket, RI

Thank you so much I found your reply helpful.Yes I'm ready to make changes.. I love how well you've done and you are so close to your goal weight. I'll work hard for that too

Alexpope
on 4/26/22 11:09 am
RNY on 10/21/20

None of us were healthy eaters going in so I do not think it will prevent you from having surgery but it can prevent your success if you do not make changes. So you have to start adapting before surgery so you can be successful after surgery.

Tidgel
on 4/18/22 7:06 am
RNY on 04/15/19

Hello and welcome! I know this is a very exciting time for you. Having weight loss surgery was the best decision for me personally and I have no regrets. I am off of several medications and feel like a new person. My advice is to make sure you are mentally ready for all the changes and to be very dedicated to following your surgeons plan. Also, support is very important and easily accessible these days as many centers offer online support groups and seminars. Good luck on your new journey!

Kathleen W.
on 4/18/22 4:38 pm - Lancaster, PA

Congratulation on making this decision. You'll never regret. The only thing I'm going to suggest is a book called "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies." It's by Dr. Marina Kurian. She's the physician who did Al Rokers' bypass. It goes into what to look for in centers. types of surgery (with the pros and cons of each), insurance, hospital stays, and beyond.

Good luck in your journey

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

TJFox
on 4/18/22 6:44 pm

Welcome Butterfly!

Partlypollyanna
on 4/20/22 5:01 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Welcome! Do you have an idea of what surgery you will want and what the requirements are from insurance? Doing your research now, while waiting to get scheduled, can help with the waiting. My recommendation is to be very clear on what type of pre-post support you can get -- the surgeon is important and you want that go be done perfect but, in my program at least, I spent a lot more time with the RD, the Bari nurse, and the psychologist than the surgeon.

Good luck and ask any questions, we've all been where you are:-)!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active