Interesting Article About Starting an Exercise Program

Partlypollyanna
on 4/28/22 7:11 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I know people have posted in the past about how they can get started with fitness if they are new to it. I thought this was an interesting article and could be useful because exercise can be a critical help, physically and mentally, before and after WLS. I've followed Hampton on Twitter (hybrid calisthenics) a while because I liked his approach and kindness and although I am a regular exerciser, I've found his modification and process for starting new to me exercises to be useful. Hopefully the article is interesting/useful to others.

What the fitness industry gets wrong

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

catwoman7
on 4/29/22 6:56 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I think this is so important. I'm so glad fitness programs in schools (or some schools, anyway) are starting to see the light on this. When I was in elementary school and junior high in the 60s and early 70s, gym class was pretty much restricted to team sports and activities related to the Presidential Fitness Test, neither one of which was my "thing". I dreaded gym class (other than the weeks we did the trampoline - loved that!). I enjoyed swimming and biking immensely when I was a kid, but I'm not sure that would have been considered serious exercise then. Funny that now, in my 60s, I'm a regular exerciser - and my favorite activities are - water-based fitness classes and bicycling!

I really appreciate fitness classes that are taught by instructors with less-than-perfect bodies, too. Or older people. Not that I avoid the 25-year-old super fit instructors, but it's really nice see instructors who are 20 or 30 lbs overweight (or even more - I had a yoga instructor once who was probably 50 lbs overweight) - or in their 50s, 60s, and even 70s. It makes you realize that yes - exercise is for everyone, not just the young skinny-minnies.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Partlypollyanna
on 4/29/22 11:07 am
RNY on 02/14/18

One of the first trainers that I worked really well with was an athlete/trainer that had a TBI and then worked his way back. I felt like he really understood the challenges of starting at then 300 lbs vs someone that had just always been fit.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Tidgel
on 5/2/22 12:57 pm
RNY on 04/15/19

Thanks for sharing this article!

Most Active